Burnt, burnt ends?

Steve St

TVWBB Member
Have found that most of the family likes burnt ends as much or more than sliced brisket. The only problem is what we like is the "burnt" part. When I chop the point and put it back on the smoker I am trying to get even more bark. Tried using a bit of sauce and some rub but 2 hrs later at 250 degrees it had just dried it out some but no bark.
Thinking that I might need to put it on the grill with some really high heat and see what happens.
Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

What's great about the point when making burnt ends is that their usually is a lot of remaining fat left compared to the flat which is so much leaner. What I like to do is chop the point into small bite size pieces (think meat candy) and then place either directly on the grill on a frog mat, foil just so they don't fall thru the grates. Season them up again with your rub and what I do next is with a sauce mixed with brown sugar and honey, I'll baste my burnt ends to get a nice carmalized glaze on them. I did a chilli heat with honey sweet the other day and it was awesome. Keep in my too that sugar burns at 320F so if you intend to throw them on to render more of the fat off and get some smoke into them, I wouldn't try a higher heat than 300ish just to be safe if you are saucing. As for the time frame? I just leave them on when they're done to my liking. I've done them where they're tender in the middle with a sweet glazed bark, to almost like tender beef jerky nuggets.

Back