Burning questions... about wood

Mark K.

Sorry for the bad pun, but I do have a few questions about wood.
icon_smile.gif

First, it seems like everyone uses 2,3 or even 5 wood chunks for their smokes. But for me, 1 wood chunk can last as much as 4 hours. I think it's because I run my WSM with the bottom vents almost entirely closed (it is new and still runs a little hot). So the lack of air keeps the wood from flaming and burning out too fast. Oh yeah, and the area I cook in is partially enclosed so there's no wind. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I expect to need more wood as I use my cooker more?

Second, it seems like people agree that white smoke from a flaming piece of wood produces bitter smoke. But how do you prevent the wood from flaming? On the few occasions that I ran my WSM with the vents open more, the wood flamed and smoked up white. I was thinking that I could wrap the wood chunks in foil and poke a few hole in it. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

With regards to wood chunks I usually start of with 4-6 depending on the size. I always monitor the amount of smoke by actually smelling for hickory smoke, when I don't smell smoke I throw more chunks. The chunks will burn down to charcoal. My chunks never flame, at least I don't think so. I don't believe that they should(I could be wrong), I think they catch on fire and smolder.

I don't use anywhere near the amount you noted, Mark. I use more the quantity you seem to be using, about 1 or 1.5 fist-sized chunks worth - except I never use wood that large. I cut a chunk that size into 5 or 6 pieces first.

Flames are not the issue. Excess moisture in the wood, various volatiles, dirt, can cause white smoke. Never been much of a concern to me. Imo, bitterness is often more the result of too much smoke or a poor wood choice.

Most of my cooks I do well over 300. I get flames. Not an issue.

The amount of "smoke" needed is really a personal preference. I prefer heavier than my wife, so I generally go easy (happy wife = happy life philosphy).

The "dirty" smoke most people talk about it largely a result smoldering. Trying to chase perfect faint blue smoke is only going to drive you nuts. Most often the white smoke you see at the start is the moisture from the wood and coals. It tends to burn off in the first 15-20 and I have never found a bad taste from this.

I use a mix of wood (from chips and pieces to chunks) and I find it works well. I don't like fiddling so I enjoy loading once and walking away. The small stuff burns fairly fast and the larger piece will give me a little more long term smoke.

It's all about what works for you... The more you over think it the less you will do it!

First - depends on what I'm cooking but I've never used more than 4. More wood with thick cuts, less wood with thinner. For fish and turkey, 1 or 2 are plenty.

Second - as Kevin said, if it's seasoned wood, I don't worry about it.

Mark, food with a milder smoke flavor than hoped is still very good, over smoked not so much. Till you find what your cooker will do use just a couple wood chunks.

Back