Burning Pinion in WSM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Rine

TVWBB Member
Will there be any negative effects if I burn pinion in the bottom ring of the WSM? I like the smell, but I'm too cheap to buy a fire pit.

If you are using the the bottom section and charcoal ring as a fire pit, I can't imagine that burning pinion pine would be a problem. You wouldn't be the only one using it this way and it seems to me that pine wouldn't burn as hot as hardwoods.

Actually, I think pine burns HOTTER than hardwoods. That's one reason you don't burn it in your fireplace (it can actually affect the masonry), the other reason being the gunk that it puts out.

I personally wouldn't do it.

I'd never contadict Susan as far as cooking goes, but I've built a few fires in my day and I don't see any problem with burning pine in the bottom part of the wsm. The "gunk" that pine puts out will all go up in smoke. That's what you're smelling. Just make sure you clean out the ashes real good before you start a cook. Don't go crazy, just a good brushing out of the pit. Also, I wouldn't start a large fire using any kind of wood. A couple pieces at a time and you shouldn't do any damage to the pit. Also, keep the charcoal grate in it for air flow and so the heat doesn't build up right on the surface of the pit.

One more take. After cooking salmon in the WSM, I could smell it in my next cook. So while it may be ok-I would clean the wsm after burning anything I wouldn't want on my food.

One more take...go to the Lowes or Home Depot and shuck out the $99.00 for the close-out fire-pits and save the WSM for it main purpose...COOKING!!

I wouldn't do it. Besides, the WSM is a bit small to use as a fire pit, and why risk damage to it?

You could dig a hole in your yard and line it with rocks, cheap fire pit right there. Or buy one, they are not that expensive and they will last for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back