BURN OFF practice

SUNDAY, 10:05 AM - PRACTICE RUN...
First let me preface by saying I am going to try this with one bullet, as transportation constraints at this time prevent me from bringing the FEC to THE BURN!
Lesson #1, the covers for the bullets don't necessarily prevent moisture from collecting in the bottom, and I had to melt out a huge ice block earlier this morning..So that threw off the whole timing. I originally intended to cook the meats and have them done as the schedule for turn in suggests...oh well . So this will be a lesson on flavor, tenderness and how long under the conditions.
Lesson #2 - If you keep a GURU in the garage, this too needs to be brought in prior to set up as the GURU does not like the cold... D'Oh!
9:30 am...3 Racks of Baby back on the bottom shelf, GURU set at 230 and today the wood of choice is Pecan, some how I ended up with LOTS of Peacn hidden throughout the garage. This will hopefully have the RIBS done at 2:30, the expected turn in time, but I normally like to have them done prior to the turn in, but lets see what happens...This is a practice run. With the smoker going, I should be able to simulate the other turn in times as planned, I am going to add the Chicken at 11:00(3hrs to cook), The Andouille at 11:30(2 hrs to cook) and the Tenderloing at NOON (3 hrs to cook). If I can figure out how to post some pics, I will, but don't bet on it. Stay tuned for updates...Speaking of bets, Lets see how these pan out...Ravens +6 and the under of 34 & Cards +3.5 Under 47. LATER.

BBQJEDI

UPDATE..12:20 CST

LUNCH TIME...12:20, first Mary of the day..very tasty. Put Chicken, Pork and sausage on top rack. Guru set on bottom rack, temp set at 230...I am hoping I get 15-20 degrees more on the top rack to cook on time. Had to adjust the chicken to the very edges, as I don't want the drippings on the RIBS below...found a use for the larger 22..hugh
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Put chicken on foil in case. Added a small piece of apple to go with the large pc of Pecan still smoking...mops later... 1.5 hrs approx to game time...Later

BBQJEDI

16 out...smoker taking its time to get back up to temp...hugh! Moisture is collecting under the jacket and is freezing before it hits the ground so icicles are forming...greeseee icicles.
icon_biggrin.gif
Ice was starting to form on the fan of the GURU, coming from beneith the jacket... so I had to turn it, so any ice buildup will be on metal and away from working parts. The GURU is sitting next to the smoker, on a table, in a glove w/glover warmer underneith it. I not going to touch it until the first meat comes off. TBD...back to pregame

Yo Mike - looks like you are roughing it a bit!!

I'm wussing out and simply doing Pizza's in the oven (Bryan's dough recipe). Late run yesterday and late start today so no time to prep for any cooks.

There's always Monday. But hey you are the man! Hoping your cook comes out great. Post us some results, eh? Icicles from the blanket? Priceless.

Mike, my wife was amazed and laughing about the icicles last year. Then when the jacket came off it froze into shape making it easier to put back on.
icon_eek.gif

THE REST OF THE STORY…

O.k., so that was WORK. Every time I wanted to MOP either the Ribs or chicken, it would take forever for the temp to come back up. What a pain in the A**. Ribs took about 6.5 hrs and the chicken came off after 6. GURU set at 230 majority of the time lo the bottom rack, even when I tried to bump up the temp to 250, it would not get there. RIBS came out tasting great, while the chicken was so so…I normally marinate the chicken overnight, but given the projected contest rules, they only got about 4 hrs of marinade and if the temp is similar on contest day, I may not have that kind of time if the actual cooking process takes so long. Sausage came off at the alloted time, but it could have gone for another 1/2 to 45 min longer to crisp up the skin. Also, the LARGE piece of Pecan I used, may have been too much as the chicken was heavily flavored in smoke. I also tried a new RIB Mop that will be used again….

Bottom line, I’m going to need A LOT of time to make sure all the meats are done on time. This too was with the convenience of having a stove to heat the mop and being able to run into the house to keep warm. I imagine A LOT of charcoal will be used…It should be VERY INTERESTING if I can pull this off…TBD This and the fact that my picks crapped out made for a LONG Sunday.

Back