bunch of pork skirts to cook

Jeffr Hode

TVWBB Fan
Hi all,

I have about a dozen skirts that I save from the past couple of spare rib cooks that I was going to cook today. Last time I did the skirts alone they were a little dry and chewy. Any suggestions for cooking the skirts or secrets to share would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Jeff

I try my best to get the membrane off of them. It's really tuff some times, but it is best if you can. I put them on when I am doing the ribs, pull them off after maybe 2-2.5 hours of at temp cooking. I slice into strips across the grain to eat.

Pork fajitas! Can I come over for dinner?

This may be sacrilege, but I've always had the best luck with skirt steaks if I sear them over the flames for about 5-8 minutes on each side over a real hot grill. Then I put them in a foil pan and let them baste in their own juices for a while. I do use some hickory or pecan chips soaked in water so they get some smoke before putting them in the pan though. They always come out with a nice smokey flavor and simply tear apart because they simmered in the pan.

Like Bob said, cut them against or diagonally across the grain.

Good luck. Let us know how they turn out.

I had to get things going for dinner last night, but coincidentally did what Bob T suggested. I used my favorite rub and went 1hour 15 min at 250, then foiled in pineapple juice for another hour. Glazed in Sweet Baby Rays and sliced thin across the grain. I pulled some of them apart to remove the fatty inside. I was serving them with beef short ribs. I didn't want to go overboard on the fat picking because those tend to have pockets that will need to be picked out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe Fajitas toninght !

jeff

For me, any trimmings from spareribs are "testing" grounds for new rub ideas. I like things to have a bolder flavor than everyone else in the house, so this is a good time to make myself those little treats.

Back