Bump in the road

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I was thawing three butts in the fridge for Monday. When I turned them fat side up a small amount of myoglobin leaked out from the cryovac seal. I cleaned it up and it happened again. The butt is probably fine but I’m not taking any chances.
I just got back from buying a replacement.

I am not smart enough to understand the risk if they were properly handled from grocer to freezer and just recently to the fridge and still thawing :confused:

I am not smart enough to understand the risk if they were properly handled from grocer to freezer and just recently to the fridge and still thawing :confused:
Either am I. There was some dried myoglobin on the seal so I have no idea when the cryovac was compromised. One is for us and two are for friends. The butt was 99 cents a pound and the replacement was the same price.

No need to throw them out. Not a safety concern if they were a) frozen, b) fridged to thaw, c) destined to be smoked/cooked thoroughly. There aren't pathogens that would significantly outgrow in freezer or fridge temps even if present in significant numbers (which is highly unlikely). Cooking thoroughly would pasteurize the meat and then some.

No need to throw them out. Not a safety concern if they were a) frozen, b) fridged to thaw, c) destined to be smoked/cooked thoroughly. There aren't pathogens that would significantly outgrow in freezer or fridge temps even if present in significant numbers (which is highly unlikely). Cooking thoroughly would pasteurize the meat and then some.
Thanks for the information.
I put it in the freezer yesterday. Will it still be good? If not, not a big loss.

Back