Bullet smoker jacket

Tim Fig

I just rec one from BBQ Guru for a smoke this weekend. Temps to be around 3 to 0 with a wind chill of -10 to -20. With the jacket on and no vent holes on the jacket itself, should I be concerned with any venting problems? (top)

The jacket is meant to be used with the Guru. If you don't have a Guru you will probably have a problem. I think there's someone else on this board that uses a jacket without a Guru, but I think he cut a hole in it for a vent. I'd hate to cut a hole in something that cost as much as that thing does, but I'm not sure you'll have a choice. The worse part about a hole is that it will not be water tight for if you want to use it in the rain.

I did a search on this sight. I used advanced search and put in the words jacket and hole. That returned a lot on using the jacket without a Guru. Some say it can be done and others cut holes. You do what you think best.

I remember one person raving about how well the Jacket worked without the Guru but I have my doubts. It would probably work OK in the beginning but I think the convection would eventually slow to the point it snuffed out the fire. Shawn W from Canada cut some small holes in his where the top vent is and it worked well for him. But like Jerry said, I'd have reservations on cutting holes in a hundred dollar bill.

Back