Built-in thermometers

Dave Alvarado

TVWBB Super Fan
I wanted some grate-level thermometers built into my 22.5".

I found a cheap 2-pack on Amazon and picked up. They have a 2.5" probe, and each is mounted about 3" above a grate. Should be right smack in the middle of a butt, and right at the top of a flat. They use a 3/4" mounting bolt thingy, but the smallest hole saw I could find was 7/8" so I used that. There's a little gap where smoke could maybe leak a tiny bit, but I don't care. They are mounted solidly. These are what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JSTA2K/?tag=TVWB-20

I just used painter's tape on the outside where I was going to drill, then it was just a matter of a little patience while the hole saw did its thing. I think it took all of 10 or 15 minutes to do this mod, and cost about $50 including the hole saw.

I'll get to use them for the first time tonight and see how they do. I'm looking forward to having a better pit temp gauge than the dome.

tumblr_mp3tovRlL41sqeaayo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mp3tovRlL41sqeaayo2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, reminds me of my offset where I have 4 thermometers mounted.

I noticed that the top one is at 100 degrees and the lower one is about 90. Was the sun on the WSM?

I'm not sure, it was about 100 degrees out when I got them installed. One might be slightly out of calibration from the other, I didn't have a good way to test. The camera angle also accounts for some of it. As long as they're within 5 degrees of accurate, I'm happy.

Does the probe interfear at all when removing the lower grate, I have been mulling over the idea of adding one on mine

Does the probe interfear at all when removing the lower grate, I have been mulling over the idea of adding one on mine

You have to tip the bottom grate slightly sideways to clear the probe. It's not at all difficult since it only sticks in there a couple inches.

If you don't want to worry about that, you could install the probe in the door, or just skip a probe on the bottom grate altogether. The top grate probe installs in the lid.

Back