that tried maple syrup came out with good
results.
if so, what kind of syrup and how much.
also, read earlier that black pepper was used
with syrup. how did this turn out.
my first try came out very good, but was done
with only the rub and smoke
any advise would be appreciated

I used maple syrup with mine. It was labeled Grade A pure maple syrup.

I did maple syrup and pepper on one batch, and maple syrup and brown sugar on the other (but only because the thought of brown sugar hadn't occurred to me before I put on the syrup).

Both were delicious!

I'm making another batch of bacon on Monday and will definitely put syrup on one batch. On the other, I might rub the meat with a cut clove of garlic or something like that.

Got my Buckboard Bacon cure today and I have a question.

If I cut a butt in half (top and bottom) to make it thinner, do I still let them cure for 10 days?

Thanks!

Good question Tom. From my searches I've seen people either do it ten days still or do it less...Mine's been in since last Saturday. I bought a bonelss butt and split in where the bone came out so I have one nice slab and one thinner less regular piece. I'm going to smoke it Monday night.

Tom/John:

That's what I did my first time out, and I guesstemated that 8 days would work, and it did. I don't know how thick your pieces are, and you should read the directions as I believe they suggest "time per thickness" (I'd get up and check, but I just finished a porterhouse with sauteed spinach, am downing my third glass of Margaux, and I have a hockey game on! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) Sorry, brief bachelor interlude, there, my family is out of town.

Coincidentally, I have my second batch of BB on now (two boneless butts from CostCo.)

R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back