Buckboard Bacon question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just received my cure from Hi Mountain yesterday. Are people wrapping the meat in plastic wrap after applying the cure or just covering it in a container like the directions say? I got the impression from reading other posts that people are wrapping it. Does it make a difference? Thanks!

Earl, I make a version of Buckboard Bacon, we c all it Hillbilly bacon. The same thing. What I do, with great success I might add, is apply a liberal coating on all sides and slip into a ziplock bag. Squeeze out most of the air and put into a pan in the fridge. Turn over once a day whenever you happen to be in the fridge. Cure for 7-9 days, rinse off, then soak in cold water for 3 hours. Smoke to 145 F. and enjoy. Hope this helps. My recipe is on my homepage recipe page.

earl
i have done four batches of the buckboard
bacon and all have turned out great
just rubbed them down good, put them in a ziplok
bag , turned them over at 5 days, took them out at 10 days, soaked in water for 2 hrs and put the meat on wsm till it reached 145, sliced and
froze
i stack mine in 10 slice stacks on a cookie pan
put them in the freezer and the next day transfer
them to freezer bags
that way, i can remove 10 slices, thaw and cook
it is delicious
only other advise is do not over cook
cook only enough to get good and hot
overcooking will make it tough

Thank you, John.

Don't know why I couldn't have figured out for myself that overcooking the bacon would make it tough.

Read your post last night and tried it this morning before the family got up. Much more tender when cooked 7 to 10 minutes over medium low heat. (Love this testing stuff, I get to eat more.)

We all enjoyed this morning's offering more than yesterday's.

Thanks again.

I have 2 butts curing in the refrig now. I can't wait to try it! I noticed alot of liquid in the bottom of the pan. Do I need to drain it off when I flip the butts over? Also, once it is off the smoker, how or what do you use to slice it thin?

Thanks, Ed

Ed, I never drained the liquid, fearing that it may take some cure flavor out with it. Sure didn't hurt mine.

Also, if you don't have a real knife, I'd advise getting a good Forschner over the internet. It will be at your door before you need it for the bacon. After removing the bacon from the smoker, I let mine sit in the fridge overnight. This makes it much easier to get thin slices. I never knew how much crap I had to cook with until I got my first Forschner knife. I had to immediately re-evaluate everything in my kitchen. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for.

Jim Beauchamp, I'd like to see your method at your homepage, but you didn't list it.

By the way, my method is listed at www.bbqboard.com

Man, this is a great forum! There seems to be alot of folks trying the buckboard bacon, and having some questions. There are alot of scattered posts about it. Maybe a good topic for Chris next month? (hint, hint) I'm not real bright, and he does such a great job with the details and pictures even I can make some good Q with all the help from here.

Ed

I just tried this recipe this past Sunday and it worked out well...timed it to be done around breakfast and it worked out well. Cut it in slices and served it up with some homefries, eggs, and toast..........mmmmmmmmmm. It rocked!

Go---Tampa Bay Lightning (Can you say HOCKEY!...I knew you could! LOL)

pat,
The meatier pieces,(more hammy) are great as sandwich's.
For the dinner menu, use as a substitute in pasta carbonaro, or slice thin and roll up with a little cheese and chicken breast. Think of it more as a flavoring, than as a main course.
Michael

I made the Hill Billy bacon this afternoon, I'm new to the WSM and this forum, (I've only had mine for a few days) but I've turned out some decent meals on the Electric Brinkman in the past decade (or two) That said, this bacon is gooood!

I made quite a few errors cooking it today and it still turned out wonderful. I suppose this belongs on the Beginners pages, but an estimate of the total time would be helpful to the clueless amonst us.

I was all prepared for 4 to 6 hours for a 2lb cured butt. Go ahead and laugh. That's what I did after 1 hour on a too hot smoker (275F). No, I don't know why I expected it to take that long. Maybe I was all geared up to do a brisket or a 190F pulled pork after reading the comments here and there

I really have no complaint. The bacon kicks ***, it was done 3 hours sooner than I thought and I'm in love with the WSM. I guess my point is that the bacon (140F) doesn't take very long and it wouldn't hurt us newbies to mention that point many, many and yet more many times.

FWIW, pictures and my experience here Whining aside, this website is a wonderful place and I thank you all for sharing. It really helps a us newbies

Cecil, Thanks for that post. I am a great lover of pastrami and you've made my mouth water. We have lots of Corned beef (both red and grey) here in the northeast and it's reatively cheap. Thanks again for the recipe. Cliff

Well, I've got 2 large butts on the smoker right now. I'm gonna follow the instructions and smoke at 200. I was kinda wondering about the time it would take. This is also the first time to use my ET 73, man I don't know how I've made it without one! I thinking about running to the store and getting some maple syrup to pour over one and see how it does. I'll post later with the results.

Ed

I just used some of my 2nd batch of bacon as part of a jerk pork loin wrapped in bacon and stuffed with tapenade---done indirect on the kettle. Fantastic stuff!

This is some sure enough fine stuff! I didn't have time to go get some maple syrup, it was done much faster than I thought it would. It was on the WSM for about 3 hours, smoker never over 205. I checked the temp at several places and repositioned the polder at the coldest part to make sure the whole thing got to 140. I sliced it pretty thin with a electric knife. The smell from frying it will draw a crowd! My wife says it is the best ham she ever ate, the son says it's the best bacon he ever ate, go figure. Bottom line is I will be making plenty more of it.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back