Buckboard Bacon Curing Question

Never heard of any body freezing them but.............. Might be able to Vac seal them Oh boy not sure what to tell you.
icon_confused.gif

You can freeze; it's okay. Slight textural changes but not enough freeze time to make a very noticeable difference.

Though, technically, you can forgo freezing I don't recommend it as the chance of significant moisture loss is greater. Rinse then soak a couple hours in cold water in the fridge, changing the water once. Dry thoroughly with paper towels then vac pack. (If you don't have a vac sealer then wrap tightly in several thicknesses of plastic wrap, stick in a Ziploc, squeeze out the air, then freeze.) Thaw in the fridge 2 days or so before you plan to smoke. When thawed, trim a little bit off then fry and taste for salt levels. Re-soak in cold water in the fridge if necessary. Dry thoughly before smoking.

You'll be fine as will your bacon. Enjoy.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
You can freeze; it's okay. Slight textural changes but not enough freeze time to make a very noticeable difference.

Though, technically, you can forgo freezing I don't recommend it as the chance of significant moisture loss is greater. Rinse then soak a couple hours in cold water in the fridge, changing the water once. Dry thoroughly with paper towels then vac pack. (If you don't have a vac sealer then wrap tightly in several thicknesses of plastic wrap, stick in a Ziploc, squeeze out the air, then freeze.) Thaw in the fridge 2 days or so before you plan to smoke. When thawed, trim a little bit off then fry and taste for salt levels. Re-soak in cold water in the fridge if necessary. Dry thoughly before smoking.

You'll be fine as will your bacon. Enjoy.

Kevin, Sounds solid to me.
icon_cool.gif

Back