Buckboard Bacon Curing Question

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm in the middle of curing some buckboard bacon.
I put the cure on last wednesday night. I was planning to smoke it on Sunday, but wont be able to smoke for another week.

Can I just leave it in the cure for another week? Should I rinse off the cure and leave it in the fridge?
Or do I need to find a way to smoke it this weekend?

Just keep it in the cure. I usually let my buck board bacon in the cure for 2-3 weeks.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by tjkoko:
Does a longer cure imply a more intense cure flavor?
IMO the bacon is better with a longer cure. It pulls more moisture out of the meat which yields a denser product. I've followed the directions and did a extened cure. I like the longer cure better. Not saying you will but it tastes more like bacon with a longer cure. FYI you'll want to add some fat to the pan before frying to get it to crisp up like bacon, i use butter but any oil or fat will do. You need to do this wether you do a long or a short cure.
icon_wink.gif

Which kind of enclosed container is the cure executed in, a plastic container or stainless steel? And I'm aware that metal containers for curing are ill-advised but it would seem that stainless is impervious to cure mixtures.

I like to do my cures in Ziploc bags for the most part, but I do have a couple of food safe plastic container that I use on occasion, but I like the plastic over any metal, as there is a little wiggle room with plastic containers, where as with a metal container you end up with a bent container.

Originally posted by tjkoko:
Which kind of enclosed container is the cure executed in, a plastic container or stainless steel? And I'm aware that metal containers for curing are ill-advised but it would seem that stainless is impervious to cure mixtures.
Ziploc bags for me too.
icon_smile.gif

Which size of ziplock bags are you using for curing the typical butt - say weighing around 8-9 pounds? Is it the one gallon size bag?

Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
I usually use the two gallon zip lock bags. I clear out one of my vegetable keeper drawers in my basement fridge.
Exactly how i do it. 2 gal Zip, basement fridge, in the veggie drawer, which is always empty.
icon_biggrin.gif

A note on the 2 gal Zip bags. They are really hard to see on the shelf. Most grocery stores have them, Super Wal Mart i always find them there. Here's the deal, they are in the same design box as the 1 gal and almost the same size box. You just gotta look long and hard for them.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Stone:
Ok, I'm going to have to give it another week. Kosher?
Yes.

Should I put on new cure?
No.

What I usually do irrespective of cure time is to rinse well and give the meat a cold water soak (2 hours or so, changing the water once, in the fridge), then I trim off s little piece and fry it. Of course there will be no smoke (or rub, if using) flavor but I'm just tasting for salt levels. If saltier than I'd like I re-soak a few hours or longer, changing the water once or twice.

Kevin, what a simple and effective way to judge the salt level.
If I had thought to do this...I would have soaked in water longer. Great simple idea.

Back