buckboard bacon 1st attempt

Cleatus H

TVWBB Member
I am trying the buckboard bacon recipe for the first time. I just got done deboning and putting the cure on. The deboning did not go as well as it could have and I decided to cut the butt in half. I ended up cutting one half in two(seemed natural) so I ended up with three pieces. It seemed like it took a lot more cure to cover the three pieces than the recipe called for. I guess only time will tell whether I screwed up the recipe or not.

Cleatus,

I've always thought that the amount of cure called for in the directions was a little on the light side. I've used more than called for in the past. The key, I believe, is in the rinse. Just make sure you rinse it well.

Good luck with your bacon, if you have any other questions let me know.

I have had the same results as Bruce, seem to use more rub than called for. My last batch stayed in the frig for 13 days before I could get it smoked. I rinsed it extra good, and it came out great! Keep an eye on the meat temp while smoking, it cooks faster than normal butt cooks.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the input guys.

I guess I don't see how you can predict cure by the pound as they suggest. It seems you could have totally different surface areas on two different 6 pound cuts of meat.

I just put each piece of butt in a separate ziploc and put it in the fridge to cure.

Definitely rinse it really, really, REALLY well if you've used extra cure! Buckboard bacon is good stuff. Can't wait to hear your results!

lol Cleatus, I know exactly what you mean when you say the de-boning didn't go as well as hoped. Next time I buying boneless butts.

Jim "I'm no butcher" Morgan

I was hard on myself after I deboned my first butt, UNTIL I unwrapped the ones from Costco and saw how they were BUTCHERED (pardon the pun). Same with the last boneless ones I got for my new year's smoke. They were so massacred that I had to tie 'em up.

After two days there is quite a bit of liquid drawn out of the meat by the cure as expected. Should I drain this off or leave it?

Cleatus,

Just let it be, it won't hurt it none.

Speaking of boneless butts. The last ones I bought from Costco that I used for bacon, you would have thought whoever deboned them, had never picked up a knife before. So don't sell yourself short on your own talent. It's a tough bone to get out to start with.

Yeah, but the buckboard bacon instructions make it look and sound sooooo easy.

This morning, in honor of this thread, I fried up some of my buckboard bacon (I just take it straight out of the freezer, slice it (not easy, but not impossible) and fried it up with a couple of eggs. Good stuff!

Susan, I must have smelled yours, cause I took some out this morning also so I'd have it for Sunday morning.

A little clue, this past batch, when it was done cooking I wrapped them in foil and put them in the refrigerator overnight, got them really cold, then sliced them the next morning, much easier than when warm or frozen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Susan, I must have smelled yours, cause I took some out this morning also so I'd have it for Sunday morning.

A little clue, this past batch, when it was done cooking I wrapped them in foil and put them in the refrigerator overnight, got them really cold, then sliced them the next morning, much easier than when warm or frozen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce,

Totally unrelated, but I gotta say I love your Foghorn Leghorn picture and quote.

My fave Leghorn quote is "It's a good thing I keep my feathers numbered for .... just such an emergency!"

Here's another thing you can try: after you rinse the meat, smear a good hot sauce all over it before you smoke it. I did this on half of the batch of buckboard bacon I made, and it turned out great. The brand I used was Arizona Gunslinger, the habanero sauce. This brand has a thicker texture than Tabasco, and I think that helps it stay put during the cooking. Even though each slice only has the spice around it's edges, you really get a lot of flavor - tastes almost like tasso ham. Since it's so meaty, and thicker than regular bacon, it doesn't have to be just a breakfast meat. I like it a lot as the main ingredient of a sandwich.

Use some of that bacon in your ABTs (try shrimp and cream cheese stuffed, topped with bacon). When the bacon is cooked, so is the shrimp! Good eats, boy.

I'm with Geoff U. Buckboard bacon (would the acronym be BBB ?)definately makes great sandwiches. I like it when my wife says "Let's fry up some of that bacon you made and build some sandwiches." She likes the traditional BLT. I go for fried BBB with mayo on toast. Great stuff. I have never tried the hot sauce smear but I am surely going to try that and a homemade Worcestershire smear on a part of the next batch.

Griff

Back