Bryan, checked out Bj's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Spencer

icon_smile.gif
Got to BJ's early this evening and checked out the meat department. They had some nice pork shoulders and a HUGE chuck roll in the case. If the rain for the weekend wasn't forcast, I would have grabbed them! I did pick up some bulk spices to fill in the blanks of what I was getting low on. Costco has a similar spice section, but they never have chili powder...go figure.
On the way home we picked up 4 oven roaster size chickens at Willow Valley market...about 7lbs each. My son and I rubbed and injected them following the "Smoke and Spice" recipe that is tried and true for us over the years.
"Mad Max" will have his first real cook christening tommorrow. I will try to take pic's and post them this week.

I'm going to check out Cherry Hill Orchard for some fruitwood this week. It's only 5 minutes from my house. They usually have apple bin's full of mixed limb trimmings from the orchard. Might be a nice source for apple, peach, cherry....etc.

Hey, don't take all the wood lol. I was going to head down to Cherry Hill today or Thursday for some wood. I am also going to try Kauffmans orchards down 340. (If you like Apple cider...they have THE BEST!!) I was at costcos last week, no shoulders, but spare ribs were around $2.09 a # if I remember right. I need to get a freezer so I can stock up when I see good deals. I have seen ribs there for less than $2.00 a # before.

Jeff, Remember if you don't see it out on the shelf ask the Butcher. The last time i went to get some butts they didn't have big ones out. Asked the butcher for 2 in equal size to put on the smoker and he brought out 5 cases for me to go through. Same with the chuck rolls. They always have them some times they not out though.If you want a bigger or smaller one just ask them. The first and second shift guys are really great to deal with. Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by les:
around here they don't even know what chuck rolls are. do they have an alias? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think there's another name for chuck roll. Find a good butcher that actually cuts meat, and tell him/her that you want the chuck subprimal cut that includes the chuck eye roast.

Here's the technical description of chuck roll from the USDA Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications for Fresh Beef Products:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>116A: Beef Chuck, Chuck Roll
This boneless item consists of the large muscle system of the chuck which lies under the blade bone and contains the longissimus dorsi, rhomboideus, spinalis dorsi, complexus, mustifidus dorsi, serratus ventralis, subscapularis, and splenius. The rib end shall be made by a straight cut exposing the longissimus dorsi to be at least twice as large as the complexus and forms an approximate right angle with the dorsal side. The neck shall be removed by a straight cut which is approximately parallel with the rib end and is anterior to, but not more than 1/2 inch (13 mm) from, the serratus ventralis. The arm portion shall be removed by a straight cut that is at an approximate right angle to the rib end and is, not more than 3.0 inches (7.5 cm), ventral from the longissimus dorsi at the rib end and not more than 4.0 inches (10.0 cm) from the complexus at the neck end. All bones, cartilage, backstrap, trapezius, supraspinatus, intercostal meat (rib fingers), and prescapular lymph gland shall be removed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your butcher can understand that, you'll be all set.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back