Broken Probe, now what?

paul js

Just stated cooking some ribs, fired up the et73 and noticed that the temp read and stayed at about 200 degrees as soon as the smoker probe is inserted (in the house). Played with it a bit, I'm now convinced the probe is fryed. Ok to forge ahead today using the meat probe as a smoker probe?

I always just have the probe wire come out under the hood, is this ok or does it lead to early failure. I've only had it a couple of months.

One helpful hint that I saw, (can't remember who it was from) was to run the leads out the top vent and use a large clip attached to the lid handle. The handle of the clip is perfect for holding the transmitter. The wire bracket slips over the handle.

I had the same problem when running the wire under the lid. In my case it allowed some moisture to get in the probe lead. I left it sitting on top of a furnace vent for a couple days and it was fine. I have since installed the eyelets from the bbqguru folks and run my probes through there.

Thanks for the advice all. Used the meat probe to monitor smoker temp and all went well. Guess I'll order a new probe.

Back