BRITU Rub

Yes due to the lack of Paprika, which IMO is a good thing.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
I agree, Bryan...Going to add some now! Also, I think it is about time to light my chimney coals! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Reread my post. I should have worded it different, sorry bout that.
icon_frown.gif
I don't care for Paprika.
icon_wink.gif
But if you want to add it go ahead. I would not though.

Jeff S, I would omit the paprika all together. IMO, store bought rubs always over do it on the paprika, almost like a filler rub.

Erik

#1 There is no Paprika in the BRITU recipe folks.
icon_confused.gif

Best Ribs In The Universe Rub - 1/4 Batch
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-iodized table salt
1/8 cup brown sugar, dried
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder

#2 He asked why the rub was so light in color compared to other rubs he had made.
#3 I posted because the lack of paprika in the rub, IMO it's a good thing.
#4 I did not word it right at all, might have came out sounding that I like paprika, which I do not care for it at all. That would have been my second post.
#5 I said not to add it.
#6 It's a good practice, when making a recipe for the first time, to make it as written, make changes to suit your taste if you make it again.
#7 Exception to #6 is to make changes for health reasons.
#8 Have a great weekend.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
Jeff S, I would omit the paprika all together. IMO, store bought rubs always over do it on the paprika, almost like a filler rub.

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree that many do but there are some great "store bought rubs" out there my friend. That said I buy all my rubs because I have found some that are perfect in my book. In no particular order for my 3 always have on hand rubs. Head Country, Texas BBQ Rubs Original and Brisket blend. These IMO, these 3 are fantastic, and contain very little paprika/red sand.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vernon Ewing:
I just received my order from TEX BBQ Rub. This time I ordered both the original and brisket rub. I also ordered their gloves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really think BRITU is one of the most overrated rubs I've ever tried. To me it tastes overwhelmingly of salt, even with very light application.

As far as paprika is concerned: If it tastes like 'red sand,' you're using lousy (probably Chinese) paprika. Try some decent Hungarian stuff (I prefer the sweet kind). It's really not that expensive and it does add a nice sweet edge. I also find some of the brands in Hispanic markets are good too -- just like most spices you buy in Hispanic stores.

I have never tried the BRITU rub, but by looking at the recipe and reading these comments on this thread, don't think I will any time soon. When I saw Accent MSG (aka Artery Cement) as one of the ingredients, I can see why everyone thinks it is too heavy on the salt flavor. I also agree with Randy, if you get a good quality paprika (and store it in the frig), it does have nice flavor and color features when applied.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
OMG, BRITU rub is WAY too salty. Cut salt in 1/2. My ribs were still damn good, though! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not really that bad, light dusting and sauce em next time, they'll be fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
Bryan, where do you buy these rubs, online or can you find them at your local grocery store?

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Erik, I buy them online.
Head Country Rub and BBQ sauces
Texas BBQ Rubs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Lilleston:

If it tastes like 'red sand,' you're using lousy (probably Chinese) paprika. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I never said it tastes like red sand, I just called it red sand. My latest jar of Paprika came from Penzey's and I still don't like it.
icon_wink.gif
Is it not OK for somebody not to like something
icon_confused.gif
I don't like Kingsford either.
icon_biggrin.gif

I like the BRITU rub, a little heavy on the salt but I like salt and I just grind some kosher salt instead of table salt. I also add a teaspoon each paprika and smoked paprika. And I do not use MSG.
I sauce my ribs so maybe I don´t get the full salty punch that you are talking about.

The thing about MSG is that it doesn't make salt taste saltier. That is a myth. What it does do is activate other taste receptors on your tongue. I add perhaps 1-2 tablespoons of MSG per 12-16 ounces of rub. That's only about 1/4 oz, probably less. Some commercial preparations are much higher. I buy mine in an asian grocery for about a buck a Lb. That much lasts me a year easily. As for paprika, The McCormick/ Schilling stuff available in most BJ's/Costco/Sam's has decent taste at a good price provided you buy the foodservice sized containers.

Back