BRITU Ribs & a Fattie

Hans Lain

TVWBB Member
somegeek_ribs_fatty.jpg

Two racks of baby back ribs and a fatty.

Using the BRITU method/recipe for the ribs. Only left at room temp for 1 hour(vs 2 which was recommended).

I used a dusting of Emeril's Essence on the fatty since that was something I had in the cupboard.

Fattie turned out damn good...

http://somegeek2.home.comcast.net/somegeek_ribs_fatty_1.jpg

http://somegeek2.home.comcast.net/somegeek_ribs_fatty_2.jpg

Ate a slice then bagged and put in the fridge. Looking forward to breakfast in the next few days.
icon_biggrin.gif
If I didn't put it away there'd prolly be half missing by dinner.

Ribs turned out pretty good...

http://somegeek2.home.comcast.net/somegeek_ribs_fatty_3.jpg

Used the BRITU rub cept I cut the salt in half since the ribs were already 'enhanced' by Hormel. I should have cut the salt out all together. Also noted that the rub was a bit overwhelming. The crust was killer but was a little heavy on the rub. Spritzed with an apple juice/olive oil spray about once every 45 minutes or so.

Used 2/3 hickory chunks, 1/6 mesquite & 1/6 alder. Smoke flavor was great.

Gonna look for a store that carries non-enhanced ribs.

Note from Moderator: No multiple inline photos, please. Changed several to links. See Posting Photos for guidelines. Thanks!

Pics look great.
icon_smile.gif
I hate enhanced meat. I have a real problem with it.
icon_mad.gif
I bought it once and once only. I would rather not do a smoke than to use it. Sometimes they and try to hide the fact, in very fine print, but if you look long and hard or buy from a place that you know that they don't sell that crap, you'll be fine. I buy all my meat cept for brisket (too expensive there for some dumd reason) at BJ's since it's very high quality, good prices and about 1.5 miles from my house. Brisket flats and packers i buy at Wal-Mart.
icon_wink.gif

Man that looks good. Usually a fattie is a sausage role bought from the store (like a Jimmy Dean's pork sausage). Your's doesn't look like that - what's in your fattie????

My first experience with enhanced ribs had me pulling my hair and rehashing my process trying to figure out where I got the salt taste from. I finally felt brave enough to buy baby backs had to pay top dollar cause there not on sale very often. Bit into them it was like eating off the salt lick we put out for deer lol. Neighbors dog even turned her nose up to them. Now I pretty much leave salt outta everything. That and the docs have me on low sodium diet. If is wasn't for this site I thinkn I would have given up on ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what's in your fattie???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

24oz of pork sausage. Picked up in the foam tray and shaped it into a log.

Did you turn the fattie during smoking? It looks like the pink smoke ring in the photo is all on the top of it. Looks almost like a quarter moon, centered on the top.

Would not turning it have that effect? The ring looks deep at the top, if it is a smoke ring I'm seeing.

Just curious.
Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Pierce:
Did you turn the fattie during smoking? It looks like the pink smoke ring in the photo is all on the top of it. Looks almost like a quarter moon, centered on the top.

Would not turning it have that effect? The ring looks deep at the top, if it is a smoke ring I'm seeing.

Just curious.
Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't turn it while cooking. Not sure about the distribution of the smoke ring. Tasted great though.
icon_smile.gif

Back