BRITU Questions

Mike Dunphy

TVWBB Member
Hi folks,

I've done these several times before and always seemed to have some success. However, I'm looking to really produce some great ribs. I've never foiled my ribs b/c I don't quite understand why, when and for how long I should. What is the benefit? Also, I've never sprayed or turned them during my cooks, but use the Weber ribs racks. Is there an advantage to turning / spraying? Finally, I've always gone dry, except for one time. Is it best to apply BBQ sauce immediately after the cook, or with 30 minutes left in the cook so the sauce can adhere better?

I'm looking to produce a plate of ribs a little less dry this time.

I've got 8 adults coming. Will 6-8 racks be sufficient or can I even get more on? There will be other food on the gasser.

Thanks and Happy 4th of July!

I thought, perhaps, that a BRITU fan would jump in and better help you but I'll do what I can.

Foiling ribs is done to soften the meat and--if juice(s) is(are) added to the foil--to add a flavor layer. If you are a devotee of fall-off-the-bone ribs foiling can effortlessly get you there. If you are not (many of us who foil are not) then timing is important and one keeps the time in the foil on the short side so as not to stew the meat to the point of no repair.

I see no advantage to turning ribs in a vertical cooker. Spraying can cool the meat's surface allowing it to cook more slowly (if the spray is water-based) but needs to be done fairly frequently to have much of an impact. However, it's quite possible for someone to only want a small impact. (I don't spray; many do). Spraying can add a flavor layer as well though it will be negligible/minimal if the spray solution is weak or if the spraying is infrequent. Concentrating the flavors through reduction can be helpful as can spraying more frequently but, again, it is possible that the cook wishes only a nuance of flavor so s/he has to determine the hows and whys as s/he sees fit.

6-8 should be plenty. Have fun on the 4th.

Thanks Kevin. I was beginning to think I asked an unpopular question.
icon_smile.gif

Again, this may sound silly, but is it necessary to foil each slab thereby removing it from the weber rib rack, foiling and replacing in the rack, or could you tent the foil around your weber rib racks? I'm guessing the correct thing to do is foil each slab.

Since I've never applied this method I think I'd like to start out slowly and achieve something in between meat falling off the bones and the normal texture you get when foil is not used. Given I'll smoke these for five hours would you recommend trying to foil at 4 hours, 3.5 hours, and should I keep the foil on until I'm done smoking?

Thanks again!

Sometimes questions just drop down in the list and go unnoticed I guess.

No questions are silly and yours is no exception: the ribs should be foiled individually as you surmise. You can, however, simply stack them if you wish; no need to put them back into racks unless you prefer to do so. Use HD foil and have it portioned and ready to go. If using a juice addition have that ready. When you are ready to foil remove the lid from the cooker, remove the racks to a work surface and replace the lid. Foil your ribs (re-rack, if desired), then place them back in the cooker all at once--this minimizes opening and closing the cooker, obviously. Have more foil portioned than you need--or at least more available. Be careful when foiling so as not to tear the foil but if it happens have more ready to go.

If you go with a juice addition just a few tablespoons is all that's needed--say 4. The BRITU rub is far too sweet for me (and, because I like more bark, too salty) so were I using it I'd use juice choices that would cut--not add to--the sweetness, e.g., 1 part pineapple with 2 parts each pomegranate and unsweetened tamarind, or something along those lines. Your choice of course. To get the full impact of foiling I would recommend a juice addition.

I foil more by color than time. I cook spares in the 4-4.5-lb/slab range, not backs, and look for deeply colored meat before I foil. This usually comes at around the 4.25-4.75-hour mark so I'd think 3.5-4 hours would be appropriate. Don't make yourself nuts over the timing though. I cook till deeply colored and then foil with juice and then cook in the foil till just done (a toothpick or probe inserted between the bones just goes in easily)--then I remove the foil (saving any juices to add some to the sauce(s)) and put the ribs back on the cooker to firm up a bit and to re-texture the bark--but they're done. (If I glaze I glaze now with the thinnest veneer. I never sauce ribs before serving. I serve sauces on the side.)

Many people who foil go by time only: 3.5 unfoiled--.75 foiled--.75 unfoiled--is just one example. Many sauce for some or all of the last unfoiled part. Actual timing, juice choice, saucing or glazing or not, is all a personal preference thing and you'll need to experiment to see what you like best. All can work though. The big deal--as it is for cooking any meat--is to cook till done (whatever 'done' means to you); not overdone, not underdone.

I just saw where you are. Newburyport is a great place.

Thanks for the valuable commments Kevin. I'll let you know how things turn out.

We've had a very wet and windy spring / early summer in Newburyport, but this weekend is finally looking good for smoking.

Merci Stephane!

This coupled with Kevin's suggestions should make for a good batch of ribs. I bought 15lbs of ribs so I'm ready to give this a try.

Back