Britu & msg question

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I want to do some ribs today using the Britu method/recipe, however I don't really want to use any Accent (msg) in my rub. By leaving that out, will that have any noticable affect on the flavor?

Thanks,

Paul

I found a thread that is helpful in the Recipe requests & Information area. But I'd still like to hear what others think...KevinK...any thoughts?

Thanks Doug, there's quite a bit of discussion on this topic. I'll probably go ahead and do the true rub recipe.

What does MSG or Accent do to you that is negative. Why would they sell if if it cause such problems?

Leo, my mother in law gets severe headaches from msg. Sometimes my wife gets headaches, but I haven't conclusively proven hers are from msg. The mother in law isn't eating any of these ribs, but I was just wondering if eliminating the msg drastically changed anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What does MSG or Accent do to you that is negative. Why would they sell if if it cause such problems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Leo,

I have heard so much about msg that my wife and I decided it was not worth it to use it. There are so many other ways to enhance flavors that we do not see a need for it.

As for them selling it, it must provide a flavor "accent" that some people really like. Anything to make money.

Ray

Paul,

My comments on it are here.

Leo, whether it causes problems is open to question. (See the same link.) There's no evidence that the use of MSG is necessarily negative physically (at least for the majority) but its overuse, imo, can have a negative effect on tastes and flavors.

It is very rare that I use MSG. I limit it to times when I feel its inclusion would be beneficial to the end result of the product but that does not occur often as I usually have enough of what I feel are natural enhancements already, like Ray.

Msg makes my insides sick for days if I eat it. We go to great lenghts and read a LOT of labels to avoid it totally.

I've never used msg on the BRITU. That may mean they are no longer THE best ribs in the universe, but they're still pretty darn good. I've never had left over's that weren't eaten in a day or so. If you're concerned about msg, I would leave it off.

I tried Accent a few times but stop using it. I don't like the mushy feel and texture it gave to my meats. People that ate my BBQ I don't think noticed, but I sure did.

I have never used the accent in my BBQ. My wife is one of those who gets headaches from it. Tastes good to me. I have been using BRITU recipe without msg for about a year and a half. Everybody loves it, including me.

Back