BRITU Modification

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Anybody have some thought of how to tweek the BRITU rub to create a more complete chicken rub, thyme? rosemary? lemon zest? Any other thoughts.

Joey Mac

Joe, I don't think I'd even try to make BRITU work with chicken. Too much salt and more brown sugar than you'd want in a chicken rub. The ingredients just aren't up to the task for the type of meat you want to use it with. Start over with a very basic chicken rub and add spices from there until you get exactly what you're looking for.

I agree--especially if you brine--but even if you don't there's way too much salt and sugar in the BRITU for chicken.

Thyme is a good starting point though. Lemon zest is a nice addition if you're doing a low/slow. For a high-heat cook I'd suggest making lemon zest part of the baste, brine, or marinade, instead of the rub.

Thyme works well with onion and garlic, obviously, but also works very well with ground dried chilies, cinnamon, allspice, coriander, cumin, ground dried sweet fruits (like apple and cherry), ginger, many of the 'exotics', among others--a whole host of spices--so there are lots of combo possibilities. Be careful with rosemary and fowl. Like bay, it works well, but too much is easily overpowering. Also like bay, it must be ground to a powder if using in a rub as in its dry state it is sharp and does not soften appreciably with cooking. Both are also very suitable for the brine or marinade layer of flavoring. In any case (brine or marinade or rub, bay or rosemary) be sparing till you see what amount it (or they) need to work best with what else you have planned.

Joe - did a chicken last week, brined with maldon salt, brown sugar, garlic and apple juice. Then eased butter and lots of fresh French Tarragon under the skin of the breast and as far under the legs as I could without breaking the skin. Also sprigs in the cavity, and cooked it on a vertical roaster. Delicious! Very clean, simple flavours coming through and very good too!

It seemed a good idea to use up the tarragon in the garden, which any time now will start to go bitter and die back for the winter.

Andrew

What other meats besides pork have you used the BRITU rub on? I love the way it tastes on ribs. Have you all tried on other cuts/meats?

BRITU has been used w/ some degree of success as a chicken rub. Its not too bad. Maybe the brown sugar not quite right, just seems that it needs a little more "poultry" kick to it. Might try scaling back salt a bit.

BTW - I'm not brining thighs, so salt seems to be OK.

Kevin - once again good advice on the rosemary. I tend to overdo that sometimes, because I really enjoy it, but it doesn't take much to overpower.

BRITU works great on butts. I've also used it on brisket, and it works pretty well there, too.

I've found BRITU to be a great beginners rub. It's not to difficult to make and flavors fairly well. BUT as you gain more experience and try different types of rubs you'll probably knock BRITU down a few notches. Don't get stuck on one rub, especially in the beginning. It sets your sights too short and you'll really miss out on everything else out there.

Back