BRITU - Just got my money's worth!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just finished with the second time using my new WSM. I gave some spareribs a try. I followed (as close as I could) the BRITU recipe.

Not only are those some of the best ribs I have ever eaten, but they are some of the best food I have ever had! Wow!!

-Rob

Believe it or not,it just gets better. Wait 'til You do some butts to pulled! Be surprised how many friends you have.

I don't understand the instruction in the BRITU recipe that says to fire up the charcoal and wood for ONE HOUR before putting on the meat. Will this not 1) waste the smoke and 2) waste fuel.

I think the purpose is to burn down the smoke wood chunks to avoid that big billow of smoke that comes off chunks when first added to the fire.

Regards,
Chris

What ChrisA said plus it gets the water up to temp and stabilizes the temp of the smoker. You are not using that much fuel to run a WSM for an hour. With the smoker stabilized when you add the ribs the temp comes back quicker.

As I stated in the original post, I followed the recipe as close as I could. I must have missed the "wait an hour" part! ;-)

I made another mistake too. I put very hot water in the pan. Between this and the Missouri summer heat, my WSM was running pretty hot for the first hour or so.

I put three chunks of wood on orignally and it seemed way too smoky, so I took one off after 10 minutes or so. Another slight deviation was that I basted with cooking oil at about the 4 hour mark because the meat looked a little dry. I read about using oil somewhere...

I am not really all that interested in using the scientific method to cook and prepare my food. I am very glad that some folks are so that I can learn from them, but I am just trying to enjoy myself.

So, all this to say that things don't go 100% according to plan, relax because you can still come away with some really good food.

-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back