BRITU - Anybody have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul....

Sounds good! When I fill the smoker with meat I will set the probe on top of the load...more likely on top of the meat on the bottom grate. This will put it in near proximity to the upper grate. Never had it take up space.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] I'm wondering if you took a cue (no pun intended) from Chris' BRITU cooking notes and had all your bottom vents totally closed in the beginning. His cook took place on a warm summer day, and his notes mention the cooker coming into full sun at some point having an effect. Perhaps if your vents were similarly closed with no warm outside air or solar gain, the seemingly relatively small mass of ribs in combination were enough to cause the drop. Why it would take an hour to do so, though, is still a puzzle. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's exactly what I did. Maybe I should have opened the vents some and cooked (at the prescribed temp) that way...

I also use a candy therm in vent, works great! I simply remove it and clean it after each smoke. So far it has given me enough info for good Q. I do use a maverick probe for butt and larger cuts of meat. I like the fact that the WSM has no therm installed, it allows you to decide whats best for you. Kevin, what kind of meat is that in your photo? Looks like your cooking it with a dry pan? Also, what are you using to hold the probe on the grill?

Hi, Steve!

That is a chuck roast I am cooking and I use sand in my pan. It is covered with foil.

The probe holder was actually a handyman project that even I could handle! It is a 2" X 2" block of wood.....cut from a 2 X 4. I then drilled a hole a size larger than the probe...no idea what diameter the drill bit was.

My lovely wife was simply amazed that I used a drill......and LIVED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back