briskett

G

I just got my wsm last week my first cook was a 8lb shoulder did it the overnight method.Everything turned out great it took about 11 hours on the pit family went crazy over brown crust.I am going to put a 6lb flat end brisket with a very good fat cap on it just looking for some advise on my first ever brisket.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Keep your temps low 225 - 235 and cook with the fat cap down. Keep an eye on it and pull when you reach an internal temp of 182 - 185 wrap it up good in foil with the fat cap up and let it rest in a cooler for 2 hrs min 4 hrs would be better.
icon_wink.gif

I start testing with a fork at the temps Bryan recommends. I pull when tender and rest as he describes.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Hi Jeff,

Just to buck the boat a bit, there's been a lot of folks that say fat cap up...and fat cap down. I'll go on the record as saying it doesn't much matter. The theory was that the fat cap up would baste the meat as it cooks...and maybe it's true. What I can tell you is that you don't eat the fat (usually) and what you need is a decent temperature in the meat.

With a 6 pound flat, I'd guesstimate anywhere from 8 to 12 hours for it to be done right. When you get used to it, you won't need a temperature probe. For now, I'd follow the advice of the others...take it off about 190 and let it rest for at least an hour if you can (in a cooler) before you slice it.

Back