Brisket

Berni McEneaney

So Ijust cremated my first brisket yesterday.....bummer. It weighed about five pounds (the flat) and I rubbed it with a home made butt rub. I kept my fire at a constant 185 (low end in the beginning) to 200/225 mostly. I thought that it took a long time for this cut to cook. I use wood, and smoked a butt at the sametime. This came out geat. About 9 hours. What did I do wrong?
Cheers Berni

Flats cook faster than pork butts. Not nearly as fatty. Cook flat in smoke until 160*, then foil. Start checking for tender around 185* by sticking probe or skewer in meat. If little to no resistance, it is done. Rest meat. Otherwise, check every 5* or so until tender. Pay no attention to the temp of the meat once in foil. Temp won't necessarily equal tender.
I'd be happy to come down and give you whatever assistance you may require. I'm no expert, but I do need a vacation.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Berni McEneaney:
Cheers Dave, though being new to this Im not sure what "*" stands for, mins of degrees. Do you use a rub of any sort on brisket?
Berni </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Stands for degrees. Yes, I rub up briskets. Usually a puchased mix of spices, or some salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. Use what you like.

Better luck next time, Bernie:

Just chalk it up to experience and try again. Read a few other posts about brisket -- particulary, those that refer to "flats" (some of us have a hard time finding whole, untrimmed briskets).

Flats are usually much smaller than a whole brisket. Plus, when you purchase just the flat - they are usually trimmed of a lot of their fat. It sounds like you probably followed instructions for a whole brisket - which would've required significantly more time. May I suggest that for your next brisket cook, get roughly the same cut & size piece of meat. That way, you should see the results of the change to your technique. This way, you can "prove to yourself" that you can achieve D-lish results. (Changing too many variables at once can make things more difficult.) Be sure to do the foil thing at the lower temperatures, as recommended for flats. I waited too long on my first try, and they turned-out decent, but still a bit dry.

There is a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned in here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Berni McEneaney:
No kidding...it was like a hockey puck. My dog wouldnt even touch it
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man that sux Berni... I think I can honestly say that about everybody on here has had a cook that went awry...
icon_eek.gif

My motto in all things, not just cooking, is 'live and learn'. Don't ever be afraid to jump in and ask a question or 3 or a 100. Believe me there is no such thing as a stupid question on here!
icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with your next brisket cook... I'm sure it will be a success!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

i've been saved here a time or two... I've yet to pull a bad piece of meat off any weber product I have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
i've been saved here a time or two... I've yet to pull a bad piece of meat off any weber product I have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, Clint. Haven't bonered a single cook thus far. I'm pretty proud of it.

Next time try a higher cooking temp. If you are not comfortable doing a high heat brisket (325-350 degrees) then do a moderate temp cook (250 - 275 degrees) My briskets have come out better since I started cooking at higher temps, usually around 250, but I have recently cooked a 12 lb brisket at 350 for about 4 hours. It was moist and you could cut it with a fork. Also, try foiling after the brisket reaches an internal meat temp of 165 degrees for a low to moderate temp cook or 150 degrees at a high heat cook. The foil will help produce a more consistent end result. Cook until tender, temperature and time are just guides. I use about an hour per pound for a moderate cook as a rule of thumb - just for planning when to start the brisket. I use a remote probe thermometer that I leave in the brisket - this I use as my guide to (1) when to foil and (2) when to start checking for tenderness. I never take this thermometer out, I use another (dial) thermometer, because it is thin and leaves smaller holes. Once I stick the smaller thermometer in and it goes in and out like butter, then it is ready. (Usually between 190 and 205, but I usually start checking at 185) I then remove and hold in a cooler until time to slice. When ready to slice, I remove the point from the flat (if I am using a packer) and slice the flat. The point, I either chop or freeze for later use. The last cook that I did, I separated the point, sliced it in 3/4 to 1" strips, sprinkled heavily with a 50/50 blend of brown sugar to rub mix and through it on the grill (grill grate set on top of the charcoal chamber on the WSM) I seared it on all 4 sides until the sugar/rub mixture caramelized and some of the fat rendered out. Then I removed and cut them again creating 1" crunchy cubes of goodness.

Weldon

Berni, as Rodney Dangerfield said in the movie BACK TO SCHOOL, "I like teachers, you do something wrong, they make you do it again." (or something like that) Follow the advise on this site and next one will be perfect.

Back