Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael T

I'm going to try my first brisket tomorrow night. I have three choices of wood to choose from, those being hickory, cherry and oak. Can anyone suggest what wood or woods combined would be most suitable for the brisket. Additionally can anyone suggest any good tips or "secrets" that would help me out. Thanks!!!!!!

Michael, Cherry and Oak are a good combo. Have used that combo many times. Or just cherry if you want. Don't listen to the crazed mesquite man. Tips what are you cooking a flat or a whole packer? Bryan

I'm aiming for a whole packer. I went to sams and all they had were the "flats". If that's what you call em. I'm going to try a local butcher to see if he has a whole packer.

If you can't find one at the butcher shop try a super wal mart. I get whole packers there for $1.28lb
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Bryan S,

Speaking of sources for meat ...

The York BJs butcher said he was not ordering Boston butts since no one was buying them!!! I told him I was buying them and he said he would order a case or two for next week.

He did indicate someone else was asking about them earlier today ... was that you?

Brian A

Yep, get the brisket from Super Wally! You can't beat their price on the brisket. They were $1.18lb for USDA Choice. It is the same exact brand name and USDA grade as the butcher up the road has for $2.69lb. Still not a bad price compared to the grocery store $4+ per lb. Good luck with the brisket Michael, it'll turn out great!

Hickory is my preference.

I went to Sam's today and bought my fourth brisket. Gonna try separating the point and flat before cooking this time.

They had lots of them. Must be stocking for the holiday weekend.

Also bought a 3 rack cryovac of spares. 2.17 lb with the breastbone off. I can get them at the Piggly Wiggly for 1.99 lb. (Daughter works there
icon_wink.gif
) but they still have the breastbone on. Probably winds up about the same.

Jim

I gotta go with mesquite. We've got it by the tons out here (CA), but IMO the only thing it's really good for is beef. If you do go mesquite, go easy. Too much can be, well, too much.

thanks for all the input!!!!! I was reading the recipe for finishing off the brisket in the oven. Do you'z find that finishing it off in the oven works better than letting it finish on the WSM

I'm a big fan of 2 parts oak to one part cherry. That's been my mixture this year, seems to work great.

I will finish a brisket in the oven at home if I'm needing to leave the house or it's really inclement outside, but I don't think it makes a difference from a quality perspective. Treat the brisket nicely and you'll get good stuff either way.

Michael, Never finished one in the oven. Once you reach your desired temp. Just remember to wrap in foil and let it rest in a cooler for at least 1 hr i prefer to let it rest 2 hrs. Bryan

Hi Michael,

I've had pretty good luck with briskets doing the following: Always get beef graded "choice" or higher (more fat in the meat for more flavor and more juice), cook at 225° MAX and check doneness with a fork or probe rather than just bringing to a specific temp. Sometimes a brisket will be juicy at 190° and another will be like leather. Add some liquid (red wine, apple juice, beef broth etc.) to your foil package and let rest. Be patient.

Then stuff your face !!!!!

Al

From my experience Mike, yes, they leave it on while cooking. When you foil it, then is the time to trim the point from the packer. But be careful not to trim in to the flat as you will lose juice!

Return the tips and make the burnt ends...sooo goood!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Albin:
Bryan S,

Speaking of sources for meat ...

The York BJs butcher said he was not ordering Boston butts since no one was buying them!!! I told him I was buying them and he said he would order a case or two for next week.

He did indicate someone else was asking about them earlier today ... was that you?

Brian A <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brian, No that wasn't me. I go to the BJ'S in lancaster. If you have a problem getting the butts in york just drive down RT 30 east get off at the centerville exit and make a left. BJ'S is on the right a 1/2 mile off RT 30. About a 16 mile drive. Bryan

Would there be any difference in the way you would cook a 4-lb brisket flat or would it just cook faster? Just wondering because the Costco I go to seems to carry only this size and cut of beef brisket.

Thanks,
Randy

I'd go with mostly oak, maybe even add some cherry, definitely not hickory. I'd avoid mesquite too, but that's just me.

Brian

The cooking technique for the 4 lb flat would be the same, but you need to be conscious of the problems of it drying out. Usually they're very thin and that's the biggest issue. I would really consider foil after 170 on a flat that small.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back