Brisket x 2 cook time

Aaron T

Dumb question:

So I have two 6lb briskets. I've never tried smoking two large pieces of meat like this and I'm trying to figure out how much time I should plan too cook them. Sounds like I should expect about 1.25hrs/lb, but (and here's the dumb part) is that 6x1.25 or 12x1.25?

Thanks!

Depends on your cooking temps, but in general when I cook more than one brisket, the time does NOT increase much if at all. 'Plan' on 1.5hrs per lb cooking in the 245º-260º range and foiling at 165º. Your cooking method and temps, will vary your cooking times.

Hi Larry,

I was planning on just following the brisket method described here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisket2.html

Sounds like you recommend running the smoker a little hotter. What's the purpose of the foil? I'm not a master smoker by any means, but I've never used foil on anything in the past.

Thanks,
Aaron

I use the midnight method with my briskets, using whole packers. You've got a couple flats. Many folks like the high heat method on those. Foiling helps to keep the brisket tender. Flats have a tendency to dry out.

*sigh* I swear smoking a turducken was less complicated.
icon_smile.gif

So I just checked, the the brisket my wife bought is Choice. Reading the High Heat method, sounds like they still recommend the low & slow method? It doesn't have the 1/4" fat cap (maybe 1/8"?) and read that putting some cheap bacon on top would help.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Smoking a brisket is only slightly less involved than doing brain surgery.
icon_smile.gif
Not so. If I can do a decent brisket, believe me, any other idiot out there can do likewise. (Nothing personal you understand). Some like low/slow, some like high heat, personal preference. If the brisket doesn't have much of a fat side, IMO, I like high heat. Which ever way you do/did it, foiling tends to make a juicier product. Just my opinion. Also, beware of the plateau, when the temp will seem to stall or even go down a bit, but do not panic. That's what is supposed to happen. Whether foiling or not, the key is testing for tender when the meat hits around 185*. If a probe or skewer goes in with little to no resistance, that's it, done. If not, check every 20 minutes or so. Take it off the cooker when tender. If it's dinner time, let the meat rest for ~30 minutes, then open the foil for about 10 minutes. If you slice a hot brisket it can end up dry as the juices will run out. Bacon doesn't help unless you like bacon flavored brisket so I'd avoid the bacon. Yet it is used by some. Which ever way you do/did this one, maybe next time try the other way, low vs high heat, foil vs no foil and develop your own preferences.

Very good and very wise post Dave! I like to have fun when q'n without stress.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey Dave you just hit the Millennium mark.

I plan on putting a 9 pound Brisket rubbed w/ Braggin' Rights Brisket recipe, in the WSM 18, at midnight. according to the postings, it should take around 9-11 hours. That would put me at around 11:00 tomorrow morning. I plan on keeping temps at 225-250.
We plan on eating at 3PM. Will foiling, toweling and placing in cooler keep it warm enough for 4 hours?
I am worried because I have never smoked overnight. can anyone give me some overnight smoking tips????

Hi Glenn, I am using a water in my smoker WSM 18 and plan on using K Blue Bag. Is that ok? I am not sure what burns longer, charcoal or charwood?

If your used to blue K and water, stick with that. Make sure you pack the ring as tight as possible and Minion with 15-20 briq's.

I would try for 230-250, set your bottom vents at 30-35% and top at 100%.

You can leave in foil for 4 hrs with no problems.

Don't stress over temps/vent settings, as long you are in the 12 to 2 o'clock on your guage (225-275 temp) no worries.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who gave me advice. The brisket turned out amazing. Super tender, very moist and great flavor- everyone loved it. Definitely will have to do this again!

-Aaron

I also want to thank all of you for the great suggestions. My brisket came out excellent. It disappeared in less than 5 minutes.

Thank you Glenn!
Thanks to ALL

imagejpeg_2.jpg

018.jpg

Back