Brisket with BBQ Guru (Procom 4) - LOTS OF PICS

Darryl.O

TVWBB Member
Actually my 2nd brisket ever. Decided to splurge and pick up BBQ Guru's Procom4 so that I could (hopefully) get some rest while doing a midnight smoke.

Winter is just coming to an end up here in Toronto. Have a lot of snow in my backyard (even though we're supposed to be close to 50 degrees this weekend). Very cold last night so I used the Silver Bullet smoker jacket that I also picked up. I used a 6lb brisket flat that I picked up from Wegmans in Buffalo, and rubbed it with Harry Soo's (Slap Yo Daddy BBQ) all purpose rub recipe. The BBQ Guru was amazing. I really didn't have to do anything at all (seriously). Set the pit temp to 230 and let it smoke all night. Here are the pics:

6lb brisket
brisket1.jpg

11PM. Rubbed and ready
brisket2.jpg

Full of kingsford and some small chunks of smoke wood (around the sides as per Harry Soo)
brisket3.jpg

Fired up about 1/3 chimney
brisket4.jpg

Midnight. Brisket on the WSM
brisket5.jpg

Guru woke me up at 7AM to alert me that brisket was at 165
brisket6.jpg

Foiled and ready for the steaming/braising stage
brisket7.jpg

The silver bullet jacket
brisket8.jpg

12:45PM Foiled, wrapped in a towl, and into the ice chest for an hour
brisket9.jpg

My attempt at cutting them "competition" style
brisket10.jpg

I have a thing for Cheese Onion Buns from the supermarket
brisket11.jpg

Enjoy!

That looks amazing. After years of butts, ribs, loins, roasts, etc, I'm about to try my first brisket in a week. Now I know this gets asked all the time, but I'm still not completely sure how to tell which way the grain runs. Since this brisket was cut both ways, I assume one was with and one across the grain. It's hard to see the left side of the picture, but can someone explain to me what I'm looking at in terms of grain? OR: can the grain be clearly seen in the first picture, running toward the left side of the baking dish and toward the corner closest to the camera?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I used a 6lb brisket flat that I picked up from Wegmans in Buffalo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man, then (to use a Canadian expression
icon_wink.gif
) you got hosed.

Let me know next time your making a meat run this side of the border and I can give you some name and numbers of places depending on what you need. You can pm me at 5centsmoker@gmail.com. Seriously, I know a cool butcher that stocks packers and he even owns a wsm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but can someone explain to me what I'm looking at in terms of grain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The grain on a flat it easy. On the raw piece its coming right at you and you'll want to make slices parallel to the plane of your screen. you see how it terminates at the pointed end? your first slice will be small, like an oblong disk, and each slice will get wider. To fill a comp 9"x9" box, you'll either size up the brisket first, before cooking, or you'll have to make that first cut with the grain (you can still make out the grooves in the bark coming towards you in the finished pic). Darryl's cuts aren't exactly against the grain (which should be the plane of the screen again), but sometimes that works depending on how done the meat is and the shape of the flat.

Paul Kirk recommends making an "index cut" in the raw brisket when the grain is obvious. Either square off the pointed end some so you can find it later, or notch it so you know where to start slicing.

Darryl it really looks nice, however in comps "really nice" doesn't beat "perfect."
icon_frown.gif
I love your slicing knife but it seems to leave some cut marks. I picked up a 14" granton edge dexter-russell slicer for $40 that seems to work for me and I don't mind slinging it around at a comp site. I'm thinking the difference is that the edge on the dexter-russell is straight and is always cutting down as you saw. Your knife has a bit of a belly so it'll push forward as well as down through the meat. Keep in mind this is all comp advice which is really meaningless minutia, but gives food dorks like me something to think about.
icon_biggrin.gif

Looks very good, congrats. I have a Guru Procom 4 too.
I use an electric knife now to slice brisket but a good granton slicer works just as good.

I have a 22.5 WSM with a Digi Q. A Silver Bullet Jacket is on the way. Worked great on my 18.5. Monday, I'm going to Paradise Meat Locker and pick up a Wagyu brisket to compare with an Angus brisket for comp. I'm also getting a Boston But and a St. Louis slab to compare with babybacks. Time to start getting ready for the American Royal.

Darryl,
Great job and beautiful pics!!!
Question: On a scale 1-10 with 10 being the best, how would you rate The BBQ Guru device you own.

Hi Darryl - The hats off to you. Great looking cook and dynamite pictures. Nice smoke ring. and the filling for that bun was awesome. Great job. Thanks for sharing. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Hoffman:
Darryl,
Great job and beautiful pics!!!
Question: On a scale 1-10 with 10 being the best, how would you rate The BBQ Guru device you own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

10 for ease of use.

10 for convenience since i can get some good shut eye while it does it's thing.

10 for performance since it does exactly what's it's supposed to do. set it and forget it.

6 for value (it's really expensive!)

3 for before AND after sales customer service when you can't get a hold of them

9 for before AND after sales customer service when you can get a hold of them

So far I am very pleased with the product. I am working through one problem with a potentially bad probe (a spare probe), but they are being very helpful and are sending out a replacement for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Another Bob B:
Hi Darryl - The hats off to you. Great looking cook and dynamite pictures. Nice smoke ring. and the filling for that bun was awesome. Great job. Thanks for sharing. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

Back