Brisket - What size is perfect for WSM?

I haven't found a packer to fit all the way in yet. Packers have all benn from just under 10lbs to as high as almost 14.

It's no big deal, because they shrink and then fit fairly quickly.

I agree with Craig. After a while, they fit. However, I use foil to protect the small end of the brisket from the heat around the edges until it fits. I remember seeing that tip somewhere here on the forum.

Although at first glance a packer doesn't seem to fit, I have found that you can push in the ends with both hands and compress it enough to get it to fit.

As Craig says, it will shrink pretty quickly.

13# is my ideal brisket weight. Trim, and tuck some of the large pieces of fat under the ends. Works like a charm. Also, you should try the wet rub mentioned on this site.

I haven't cooked anything under 11# yet. I would much rather cook a bigger brisket as I have found that they just seem to taste better when cooked and cut properly.

I have been able to go up to 14 lb briskets. I have two pieces (one for each rack) of a 2x4 that I cut about 10" long and wrapped in foil. I bow the brisket over the 2x4 until it shrinks enough to fit. Works great for me.

Very good idea Dan.

I have done them up to 17.5 lbs--but I much prefer the 12-13-lb packers. (I don't trim at all.)

Back