Brisket vs tri tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
Just a point of clarification. Where I come from Beef is "what's for dinner". "Barbeque" is pork. With that said I want to try a brisket or tri tip (if i can even find one) next weekend. Of the two which do you all consider to be the most idiot proof?

Ken,

Brisket is what you would cook on your WSM or other smoker. Tri-Tip does not lend itself to Q'n as it does not have enough fat. Most people here usually grill Tri-Tip as they do steaks.

Probably the tip because it cooks in such a short time but they're very different meats. Even if you decide to low-and-slow the tip it's still pretty quick since you're usually only cooking it to med rare or medium (I do mine like a rib roast--no water, finishing sear directly over the coals).

Try Harry's Farmers Market in Duluth 770.416.6900

I don't know if they stock it per se, but i got a few from the Harry's in Marietta--I called first and they had it ready when I got there. Didn't thinkm to ask if they normally stock it or if it was something they cut for me.

If you want to do an overnight thing though do the brisket. They're not hard and--to me--more fun.

As far as eating goes, I'd take the tri-tip over brisket any day. Brisket's good, but the flavor of tri-tip just can't be beat. Follow the recipe in the cooking section for tri-tip and you can't miss. Plus it only takes a couple of hours.

Ken,

They are completely different beasts.

Briskets are best cooked at low temp (210-250 degrees) in a Smoker and taken out when the meat reaches a high temp (195+ degrees). I generally cook them with a basic rub. Sometimes, I'll let it soak in a basic beef marinade. Either way, when making BBQ beef sandwiches, you can't beat a slow and low smoked brisket served in a good french roll with a few dashes of warm BBQ sauce.

On the other hand, Tri-Tip, while not a sear and serve cut, is cooked much quicker than a brisket. IMHO, Tri-Tip is best cooked indirect at higher temps (300-350 degrees) and then given a final sear over extreme heat. Unlike brisket, which is cooked well past "well done" (160 degrees), Tri-Tip is best pulled at medium-rare to medium(135-145 degrees). It is a cut of meat that you can be very inventive with in terms of marinade. I'll make them from Sonoran style to Santa Maria style to Southeast Asian style to Japanese style to Napa Style to Greek Style to Southwestern to Middle Eastern. My personal favs are Sonoran tri-tip tacos (served in home-made corn tortillas topped with a great smoked salsa, a slice of avocado and some creme fraische), a Southwest Tri-Tip Cheesesteak(served on a grilled french roll smothered with roasted NM chiles, Jack cheese and a corn black bean relish) and finally, my favorite, Teriyaki Tri-Tip Sandwich (on a crusty french roll with honey wasabi mayo and topped with Asian coleslaw).

As for serving, the key to both cuts is to slice across the muscle grain. IMHO, I think that Tri-Tip is best cut very thin (1/16") and Brisket cut a bit thicker (1/4").

Anyway, I like both brisket and tri-tip... They just have different ways in which they shine.

Hey Spiro;

Your flavor combinations sound absolutely delicious. I done some similar things but you have taken it to the next level. What do you use for a marinade for the Sonoran and Southwest Tri-Tip?

Hey Bob,

Here they are...

Southwestern Marinade
------------------------

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, toasted and ground
4 ripe plum tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 Cup fresh orange juice
3 Tablespoon lime juice
2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 chipotle chiles (canned in Adobo)
2t. Adobo from the chipotles
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt

My Sonoran Marinade...
----------------------------------------
1 Lime, juiced
1 Lemon, juiced
1/2 Cup OJ
2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1-1/2 Tablespoon Oregano
2 T Cumin, toasted and ground
1-1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds, ground
10 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 Regular Soy Sauce
4 Jalapenos, diced
1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced

there you go again Spiro making me hungry again!!

Seriously they are both a good cook. But best explained as divfferent beasts. Tri Tip is aan extremely flavorful cut that looks like a brisket somewhat when cut but tastes and preforms on a grill more like a really tender and flavorful sirloin steak.

In Milwaukee I have a hard time getting tri--tips much of the year only badger provisioning out of madison even markest them. Occasionaly my albertsons chain Jewel up here can get them. Ask your meat department manager about them. they are a tasty cut of meat that if you run the WSM HOt (no water in the pan) you can get a good result. Best result I've had with them is to do them over the kettle with a multi zone fire and sear on one side then move to a cooler area of the grill to cook then flip and repeat process.

Spiro, why do you recommend searing at the end of the cook as opposed to the beginning?

I would think conventional wisdom would say sear first to lock in the juices (but I'm always up to learning something unconventional)

PS thos look like some great marinades, thanks.

I had been stuck on Santa Maria style. now I have to find somemore tri-tips!!!

I agree; TYVM for the marinades, but why sear at the end of the cook? It may be what Ive grown up with but on all the steps that Ive found; mostly, you sear at the end of the cooking process. Can someone explain this for the sear-last impaired among us.
icon_confused.gif

DO NOT MAKE TRI-TIP!
If you do you will kick yourself for not having eaten it your entire life. It is a fantastic cut. I bought 8 tri-tip roats on Friday. I now have 2 left some 5 days later
icon_wink.gif

Hree are my pics from last night. One thing I learned it pull it early, it is MUCH better tasting when it leans towards rare in the middle, and mainly pink surrounding.

Like my friends said, these pictures are like steak ****:

http://tinyurl.com/5f6bv

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back