Brisket vs. Tri Tip

Mark K.

Hi all,

Before I waste 16 hours experimenting, I figure that I should get your opinions first:

Am I nuts, or is a slow smoked tri tip as good if not better than a brisket?

I've cooked up a few tri tips using the Dueling Bubba's recipe and they all turned out great; tender and tasty.

I've never tried a brisket, but none of the ones I've had at restaurants have been as good as the slow smoked tri tip. They've all been a little more dry and a little less flavorful.

Is the difference a reflection of restaurant vs. home cooked? Or should I just save myself the extra 12 hours and stick with tri tips?

Thanks!

I'm a rookie here. Never did tri tip but I did do a 14 lb full packer brisket. Cooked it using the HH method in 4 hours. Very tender, very moist and VERY TASTY. Oh and the point, my goodness, I'm drooling just thinking about the burnt ends I made the next day.

Is the difference a reflection of restaurant vs. home cooked?
To me, very much so. Some places don't hold brisket very well after it's done, others might overcook it to begin with. The biggest problem though, imo, in commercial places is the lack of seasoning. They all seem to depend on the sauce; the meat alone lacks flavor depth. I love sauces, always make them, always serve the sauce on the side, but I want the meat to be able to stand alone. Of the many hundreds of commercial places I've tried over the years, a handful have been passable or better in this regard, none exceptional. That's the big difference to me between home cooked and commercial. YMMV.

Other than both being beef, tri-tip and brisket aren't very similar, imo, so I really wouldn't compare them. Both have their qualities and limitations. I like them both very much.

Welcome to the board.

(I've been doing whole briskets in 4 hours for quite a while and would recommend the high heat method as well.)

Is the tri-tip cut a region thing? I have asked about it in two meat departments, now, and they weren't familiar with the term. Got briskets, butts, and ribs, but no tri-tip...

It's been West Coast regional for years, but they've made their way east.

Where are you located specifically?

On the west coast briskets are rarely cooked as compared to tri tips.

If I could guess a margin it would be 9/10 or more.

Costco sells packs of Choice Tri Tips, most grocery stores sell Select either rarely has briskets (except the Corned Beef type). One usually needs to go to a place like Restaurant Depot to get a decent brisket.

John

Originally posted by Daryl H:
Is the tri-tip cut a region thing? I have asked about it in two meat departments, now, and they weren't familiar with the term. Got briskets, butts, and ribs, but no tri-tip...

Ask your butcher for NAMP 185C or 185D. Those are the meat processing codes for Tri Tip. One being trimmed and the other untrimmed.

You can get tri in Jersey. Just go to your closest Trader Joe's. (Get the unmarinated.) TraderJoes.com then search store locations.

Originally posted by Ted M (FatEddy):
I never see Tri-Tip in NJ. My brother-in-law used to live in CA and shipped some. They were good!

Whole Foods always has tri-tip as well.
Where in NJ are you?

Tri tip is the shizzle. I was never a real big fan until I found the slow cooked method (most people sear it like a steak). And now I love it.

And thanks for the input guys. You've inspired me to try out a HH brisket.

BTW, this is the greatest website on earth. Seriously.

I'm late in getting back to reply, but I live about 1/2 way between Chicago and St. Louis. Saw a "flat iron" steak and a "flat cut brisket" at the market today... but nada on the tri-cut!

This ALL sounds good!

Daryl

Thanks for the tips. I rarely shop at Trader Joes or whole foods.

I'm just west of Morristown... so there is a Trader Joes and Whole foods within 30 mins from me.

I hate to fence sit, but I love both brisket and tri's. To me the offer the best of both worlds.

Generally speaking I tend to smoke my tri's until just under rare and reverse sear. Compared to brisket, this is more of a steak experience than anything. The process it fairly quick and makes for a fantastic weekday meal (I like throwing it on salads or even fajitas). Additionally I find that due to the reduced smoke (lighter flavour) you can really play with different seasonings.

For me, Brisket is my entertaining meat of choice. Usually the kitchen is crowded as people jockey to eat as I'm slicing. The heavier smoke flavour and rich beef flavour really shines.

I also agree that few places I have eaten at can come close to what I can make. I chaulk it up to freshness and the fact they have to "hold" the meat for far too long. As Kevin said, they are often dry and try to hide the lack of moisture with sauce and thus hide the true taste of the meat.

I can't say I've seen them at WF but I've always found them at TJ's.

Daryl- If you to the Chicago or St Louis 'burbs you can find Trader Joe's there.

Kevin,

Thanks. Both "big cities" are about 3 1/2 hours away, but I will keep that in mind. The metropolis of Peoria is somewhat limited in the choices it offers. No Trader Joe's, Costco, etc. We do have Sam's club and some larger grocery chains, so there are a few options, at least...

Daryl

Hi Mark, welcome. If there's a Wegmans near you try there as well. The two near me in PA carry tri tips now. I still prefer the ones I get from a packer in Maryland (Treuth's) better as they aren't trimmed as heavily but Wegman's and TJ's are fine otherwise. Haven't noticed them at the Whole foods closest to me, but it's a smaller one. Will have to check at the big one in Devon next time I'm there.

Back