Brisket Trimming

Andrew Beck

Has anyone ever done anything with the fat they trim off a brisket? Last time I smoked one, I threw away almost 2 pounds of it, and I felt bad. I've thought about rendering it for some other use. Anyone have any ideas?

I always save it...
icon_smile.gif
Pop it into the freezer.

I mix it with ground moose meat to make amazing burgers since moose meat is so lean.

When I am up at the cabin doing a lot of physical labour I use it to cook up really tasty roasted potatoes with home cured bacon and onions.

I use it in traditional steak pie with guinness, as well as mincemeat pie.

I add it to beef sausages etc... Render it for really amazing french fries. Again when I burn thousands and thousands of calories hiking, hunting, chopping wood, etc. I am 38 but want to stay healthy.

It has many uses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I mix it with ground moose meat to make amazing burgers since moose meat is so lean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whaaa? like there's moose running around in everyone's back yard?
icon_eek.gif

It would be nice, maybe a moose would keep my neighbor's dog from peeing on my plants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Trim? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, me neither.

I like to trim off just enough to make it all uniform and not overly thick. It really depends on the brisket, because some don't need to be trimmed.

I typically do not trim briskets, but when I have I will toss a couple small bits of the fat into the hot coals just to smell the sizzling fat and to drive the neighbors nuts. The smell is intoxicating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I typically do not trim briskets, but when I have I will toss a couple small bits of the fat into the hot coals just to smell the sizzling fat and to drive the neighbors nuts. The smell is intoxicating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, I always got the impression that you are a really nice guy, but now the truth comes out. you are E-V-I-L!
icon_eek.gif

i will only occasionally trim up a brisket and only if i have run out of brisket fat in the freezer. i toss chunks of bricket fat in with extra lean ground beef to put some falvor back into the meat when browing hamburger meat. sometimes the extra lean is cheaper and tossing brisket fat in moves it back to tasty.

Back