Brisket Topped with Bacon

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I thought I would try this to keep the meat moist. The last two hours I added the bacon on top. Gonna let it rest awhile then slice it up. 4 l/b brisket flat cooked for 8 hours with mesquite. Tall boys and Po' Boys' anyone??

brisketbacon.jpg

brisketcloseup.jpg

Bryan,
I think you have have missed the point of why bacon is added to a brisket cook. It is there to introduce additional fat to the meat while cooking. This added fat penetrates the meat early in the cook and works its way through the meat during the cook. By placing it on the meat towards the end of the cook, the hard bark acts as a barrier and won't let much of the bacon drippings properly penetrate the brisket.
As you read the message boards here you'll find many people removing the fat layer from the meat towards the end of the cook instead of afterwards. Fat at the end of the cook really doesn't make much of a difference. So tell us, how did that beautiful looking brisket taste?

Well here is a Po' Boy and the meat sliced. I don't think the family knew the difference and the guys at work always like brisket when I bring it to work. I turned my brisket twice and that's why I added the bacon towards the end of the cook. It was just an experiment and the bacon was put on the sandwich and the rest was given to the dog. Have a great weekend.

poboy.jpg

I don't think the bacon made much of a difference. There was a large piece of fat (about 1/4 inch) that I had to trim off. The wife hates fat. I don't think the bacon made that much of a difference, but the bacon did taste excellent. I am going to try the brisket with the fat on the top side and not turn the meat the whole cook and see if I can't cook all the fat off. Like I said, it was an experiment. The meat came out great as usual. This thing is so stable. There was one thing that was strange though. I was trying to burn the rest of the coals off and I opened all the bottom vents. I had a huge pile of hot ash until about 5 p.m. today. Heat after 30 hours?? Amazing!! Next time I am going to close all the vents to kill the fire. Have a good one.

Bryan,

You will not be able to "cook off" all the fat on a brisket. There will always be a fair amount that needs to be trimmed away.

If your wife dislikes trimming away the fat while eating the brisket at the dinner table, you can remove it before slicing and serving the meat.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some day I will re-share my story of how I burned down a brand new Drs. office...with 20 hour old coals! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>OUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back