Brisket Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just to clarify: I've got a brisket flat that's a smiggin over 5 pounds cooking with a top grate temp of 240 degrees. That beautiful thing should be done after anywhere from 6 to 8 hours, right? I want to slice rather than chop, so I should go for 190 degrees internal? I'm also checking for resistance from the temp probe, right?

How long would you folks let it sit in foil after it's done? I've heard everything from 15 minutes to 2 hours.

This is exciting stuff! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'd pull it at 180-185, but 6 or 7 hrs. sounds about right. Don't be shy about basting if it's trimmed of most of its fat. Rest 15-30 min. and eat if you're hungry, a couple hours in foil wrapped in towels in an ice chest shouldn't be detrimental.

Since I'm running a sand pan, ever since hour number four I've been spraying with apple juice and turning on the hour. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Whaddaya think?

Think you'll be fine. Last time, I used a Spanish marinating sauce called mojo criollo, which is sour orange juice, garlic, onion, black pepper and cumin as a baste. Worked really well.

That sounds really good! Can you give out the specific ratios, or are you sworn to secrecy? How long did you let the brisket marinate? Did you poke some holes to let in the marinade?

Hi Doug,

About your mojo criollo....where did you get the sour oranges, I'm very interested in that cuban creation. It sounds outstanding. Is there a sub for the citrus???

This is not a secret recipe. Down here, this is available on most supermarket shelves, in more than one brand. My first exposure to it was years ago, by the family of a Cuban girlfriend. As a marinade, I feel the acidity of the sour orange acts as a meat tenderizer, and the associated seasonings add to the overall flavor of the finished product. It's recommended for all types of meats as a marinade-- pork and chicken especially. I first used it on brisket b/c I considered apple juice a "sweeter" baste, more appropriate for pork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back