Brisket - temp decreasing after removing wrap

Jon Chappel

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking a brisket, I wrapped it at 160C and unwrapped it at 190C. At 190C it was definitely not probe tender, the plan was to finish cooking unwrapped to firm up the bark. Its been about 45 min and the brisket temp has dropped to 168C. Is this normal/OK? The cooker temp has been steady, ~250C.

I did push the meat probe in deeper after unwrapping, so maybe I was getting an inaccurate readings earlier in the cook. I'm sure it will turn out fine if I just keep going until probe tender.

yea im sure It will this happened to me only with a pork butt, I think I might have pushed the probe in to much to where it was getting a reading closer to the outside of the meat vs getting a reading on the inside of the meat. your re probing probaby is where it should be now Id just go off that tempeture, and when its probe tender you WILL know....goes in like butta!

I'm assuming you are using the high heat method. In which case the internal temps after foiling are almost useless. Definitely use a probe to check for tenderness.

Remember that the foil is going to trap steam which can play tricks on your thermometer if its not completely buried in the meat (and even then I wouldn't trust).

Thanks. I ended up pulling it off early because it wad getting late. Next time I'll drink less the night before so that I can get an early start.

Back