Brisket Suggestions?

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a whole 12# brisket that I will be cooking this weekend.

I am torn between two methods of cooking. Either Chris G.'s Recipe or keep it simple and do a straight 50/50 salt and pepper sprinkle. Either way I plan on smoking for about 4 to 6 hours and then foiling for another 4 to 6 and finished off with 1 to 2 hours out of the foil.

Any suggestions and/or experience you can share with me would be appreciated.

My top suggestion would be doing the high heat method. Quicker, easier and for me and countless others here better, more consistent results.

As someone who regularly does a poor job with brisket, the only thing I am comfortable sharing is that a heavy rub makes a great crust. The combo of rub and smoke produces a meteor like hunk of meat with a great ring. I've never been able to achieve the moistness I see on TV but it's always flavourful and tender.

Best of luck !

Dan,

I would suggest a good beef rub with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, etc........... No paprika as it will turn bitter on longer smokes. HH is a great method however what makes this method more consistant is the foiling (keeps the thinner parts from getting done to soon). No matter what temp you cook at foil it at 160-170 and or when the bark is where you want it until almost tender then unfoil and seperate the point, re-rub where they met and continue with the point for a couple more hours after the flat is done/tender.

Just minion the cook with a few lit and let it come up sloooooooooooooooow for maximum smoke penetration and a killer ring. After 2hrs smoke is not needed anymore, and at that point just open all vents 100% and let it go where it wants.

Hope it turns out good for ya
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Glenn,

Why can you cook brisket HH and not butt? Connective tissue?

Also, how do you keep the flat tender but still moist? I see juices running on TV but mine are always dry (but tender).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why can you cook brisket HH and not butt? Connective tissue?

Also, how do you keep the flat tender but still moist? I see juices running on TV but mine are always dry (but tender). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can HH a butt. I just cooked 7 butts in 3 wsm's averaging cook temps near 300*. They were all in the 8 lb range and were done in 8-9 hrs

IMO, brisket is all about two things:

1) what the thing looks like to start, does the flat have some marbling? if not, its going to be a challenge to get it really juicy, moist yes, juicy no.

2) catching it at just tender. We all know what overcooked beef is like, and during the process of tenderizing a brisket, you way overcook it. What saves you is that the tenderizing process creates some moisture. Briskets have a window where they are tender and moist, a shade on either side and they are dry.

To the point of the post I'd go for a rub with lots of flavor. For me the 50/50 salt and pepper would be bland. Not that I'm looking to alter the flavor of the beef, but rather to pull it out and make it kick.

There was a thread about what ingredients in rubs "cook out" over the course of smoking food. Find it, read it and experiment then you're on the way to creating the "Don K" recipe for awesome brisket!

Well it is 3 am and I have started my cook. Due to a very hectic day (hosting a garage sale), I decided to go with a simple black and white rub with just a few minor tweaks.

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp rosemary

I trimmed very little off the brisket. Got the WSM lit and threw the meat on. I will foil at about the 160ish mark.

So here what it is going on so far:

BeefBrisket02.jpg

BeefBrisket03.jpg

BeefBrisket08.jpg

BeefBrisket11.jpg

BeefBrisket12.jpg

Wish me luck.

Back