Brisket sources in the Bay Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Chris and anyone else familiar with the Bay Area. Where do you get your briskets? Is there any place to get them at a fairly reasonable price? Too bad Costco doesn't carry them...

Hi Dave,

I buy USDA Choice whole, untrimmed briskets in Cryovac at Dittmer's Gourmet Meats & Wursthaus at 400 San Antonio Rd. in Mountain View (650-941-3800). They use a lot of brisket to make their own pastrami, but call in advance to make sure they have them in stock. Ask for Mark and tell him you want a whole brisket for "Texas BBQ", as he calls it. They usually have 11-12 pounders.

I also understand that Lunardi's supermarket carried whole briskets in the past. The closest location to you is at 720 Blossom Hill Road in Los Gatos (408-358-1731).

Don't expect reasonable prices around here because whole briskets are hard to come by. Expect to pay about $2.69/lb at Dittmer's. You can pay about half that price if you buy by the case from places like Durham Meat Co. in San Jose. But you've got to be able to store and use 120 pounds of brisket.

By the way, keep your eyes peeled at Costco. The one in Mountain View had large brisket flats last year around Christmas.

Regards,
Chris

I too have struck out at Costco.
Butts, tri-tips and baby-backs, yes.
Briskets, no.

So I go to Smart and Final. They consistently have them at the locoation in Daly City. Don't know if there is one over the hill in your area.
I believe there are several Smart and Final stores in the Bay Area.

Prices there are reasonable too.

Chris and Henry Joe,

Thanks for the meat sources. Living out here in Santa Cruz I was unfamiliar with all those places, but I'll be checking them out during one of my trips over the hill to SJ.

Today I called Freedom Meat Lockers in Watsonville, about 15 miles from me, and they had select grade briskets for $2.29. This was better than the prices in town, so I went down and got one for my cook on Saturday.

Regards,

Dave H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back