Brisket slabs cooked with bones in?

Craig Duncan

Sorry, this has probably been discussed already, but I appreciate the direct advice.

I just got back from my butcher and the only brisket he can get now is pre-cut into slabs about 6 inches wide with the bone in. They look like giant ribs. I assume this is the flat only. Basically one brisket comes in a cryovac cut into 2-3 slabs. Total weight with bones in is about 5.5 Kg (12 lbs)

Any tips on cooking these with bone in or out? I am a thinking that if I bone them they will cook a bit faster than a whole point, and if I leave the bones in, they might cook well standing on their sides like ribs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have never (ever) seen a brisket sold 'bone in'. I would be looking for a new outlet for your brisket needs if I were you.

Post a picture of the piece you bought, I want to see it.

I live in France, so it is quite tricky to get the same cuts. Brisket as we know it is not a standard cut here, and as that part is used for boiling or braising, then cutting it up and leaving the bones in is a natural way to sell it.

brisket is an american cut of meat. cattle are butchered differently in different countries. i bleieve there is a meat chart located on this website somewhere taht you can printout and show your butcher what is meant by an american brisket.

http://grimesdairyfarm.info/images/Beef_Chart.jpg

that chart is one of the better ones i could find it shows a colour picture of the cut itself and where it comes from. your butcher will be able to help you better if you take that pic to him. he probably doesnt call it a brisket but he will know what it is when he sees it.

one last thing. i would love to cook a brisket if it had a bone in it. bones add greatly to the flavour of the meat but they cost more per pound to buy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
i bleieve there is a meat chart located on this website somewhere that you can printout </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes Jon, it's located in the cooking topics at the bootom of the cooking topics page under "Reference Articles". The tabs for all the information here on TVWBB is at the very top of every page. HTH
Here' the link to all the meat charts here on TVWBB.
icon_smile.gif

Back