Brisket Selection Tip

Doug D

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Saw this at a store over in Texas today. You TX residents and packer brisket experts cut me some slack if you know this already:

A woman was taking all the packer briskets in the case and folding them over length-wise, putting her palm on top and bearing down on them, apparently feeling for some kind or degree of resistance. I couldn't contain my curiosity, and asked what the technique told her. She explained that fat, when cold, gets stiff, but meat does not until it is frozen. Therefore, she said, the ones that gave less resistance indicated a meatier brisket with less hard surface fat. FWIW.

I had a butcher at Sam's, also in Texas, tell me the same thing. In addition to folding it length-wise he also twisted in width-wise checking for resistance. FWIW.

Doug, Are you in Texas as a result of Katrina?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry S.:
Doug, Are you in Texas as a result of Katrina? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug has documented his "adventure" here, spread over several posts:

Good luck to Doug D., et. al.

Regards,
Chris

Back