Brisket Rub

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
I'm looking for a more basic brsket rub. I usually use Mike Mills Magic Dust for almost everything. I'd like to tone down the spice a bit. Thanks

2 tbls granulated onion

1 tbls granulated garlic

1 tbls ground chile, such and ancho or guajillo (not paprika)

2 tsp ground coriander

2 tsp rubbed sage

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp ground white pepper

2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne, if desired, to taste

Sprinkle a fair amount of salt on all sides of the brisket and allow it to sit while you mix the rub. When the salt draws a good amount of moisture to the meat's surface, apply the rub over the salt; the moisture will help it stick well. Smoke as usual.

I went super basic last weekend on a brisket and have to say, it was about the best I've made yet. I just poured the ingredients into a bowl till it looked about right, but it was close to this

2 parts non-iodized table salt
2 parts black pepper
1 part garlic powder

Worked well I thought.

I know a lot of guys will "bag" on this due to the amount of Paprika, but I like it on briskets:

Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub, Smoke & Spice:
* 3/4 cup paprika
* 1/4 cup ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup salt
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 2 tablespoons garlic powder
* 2 tablespoons onion powder
* 2 teaspoons cayenne

I'd like to tone down the spice a bit
do you mean heat or flavor intensity?

Assuming you want to get away from heat take any rub with a flavor profile that interests you (I think what Kevin suggested sounds real good) but skip all manner of cayenne and ground chiles.

Perhaps include some pepper and see if it's enough. The small amount of heat pepper can bring wouldn't even register on my own heat scale but I've learned some folks are very sensitive to heat and is why I'm suggesting to strip it right out for a starting point.

Use a little paprika or turmeric if you want the color, then on subsequent cooks bump UP the heat/flavor with ground chiles until you are happy with the heat level.

i'm back to salt, pepper and garlic powder. next one i do i'm going to take out the garlic. the meat has a great taste so why hide it.

A well made rub properly applied won't 'hide' a thing. It will enhance the flavor of the meat and the flavors created during cooking, adding complementary notes.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
A well made rub properly applied won't 'hide' a thing. It will enhance the flavor of the meat and the flavors created during cooking, adding complementary notes.
I'll second that.

Originally posted by Erik Snyder:
Bryan, I just noticed you live in Lancaster. I'm just a bit away here in Reading.
Howdy neighbor. I go to Reading to get my Humphrey's Lump @ FM Brown and sons.

Labor Day weekend I did a HH brisket and I kept the rub pretty simple. I used a rub recipe that is said to be close to Kruez's and Smitty's. I sprinkled on onion and garlic flakes seperately. next time I will mix in the garlic and onion and I will go with granulated powder rather than minced flakes. I also added brown sugar to the party and sprinkled onto 1" strips of the point that I seared over the coals to make a modified version of burnt ends. They were very tasty- nice and crunchy...mmmmm.

1 cup Kosher Salt
1/2 cup Fresh course ground black pepper. (I used tellicherry)
2 TBSP Cayenne pepper

It was simple but good. My wife said that it was her favorite yet. I am not sure that I liked it as much as her, but it was good. I think that she liked the brown sugar mixture best because she ate the "you know what" out of the burnt ends
icon_biggrin.gif

Weldon

Hi guys! Yes,I'm still alive and reading the board. Haven't beebn posting of late becuase I haven't been cooking much due to some illnesses in the family that keep me away from the Perf.
That being said,appreciate the recipes for simple rubs. Always looking for those. My question is:
On average,how much rub do you need for a given sized brisket? Or for that matter,a Boston Butt ,too? I always come up short or have more leftover that I want.

It depends on your taste and the quality of the ingredients. If using high quality, flavorful ingredients you can use less to equal the flavor of the same rub made with lower end stuff.

Also, if making a rub with stronger flavor components then less is often better lest the rub dominate.

You really have to try different amounts to see what works for you.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
If Kreuz does anything more than salt and pepper I'd be surprised. I wish they would.

I've never eaten there but according to another forum post, they had cayenne. You can hardly tell that there is cayenne in the seasoning, or at least I could not.

I usually do a more complex rub...but decided to go simple with this particular seasoning. Of course, I could not go without onion and garlic!!! I should have went with a granulated powder and mixed them with the salt and pepper so that they could set and marry with the other spices.

Weldon

Back