Brisket Rub

I've been there a dozen times or more. The brisket is consistently tender, sometimes oversmoked, sometimes not, consistently bland.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I've been there a dozen times or more. The brisket is consistently tender, sometimes oversmoked, sometimes not, consistently bland.

I see. Most places around here are bland. not all but most. you have to count on the sauce. Don't get me wrong, there are some great bbq places here in Texas, but for some reason, they just do not put enough seasoning on their meat.

Weldon

Don't get me wrong, there are some great bbq places here in Texas, but for some reason, they just do not put enough seasoning on their meat.
I can't say I've ever had 'great' barbecue in Texas - not commercially - though I've had some I'd call better than passable, out of the few hundred places in Texas I've tried!

I quite agree: when one thinks 'Texas' one conjures notions of good seasoning. This is definitely not the norm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't get me wrong, there are some great bbq places here in Texas, but for some reason, they just do not put enough seasoning on their meat.
I can't say I've ever had 'great' barbecue in Texas - not commercially - though I've had some I'd call better than passable, out of the few hundred places in Texas I've tried!

I quite agree: when one thinks 'Texas' one conjures notions of good seasoning. This is definitely not the norm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never eaten bbq outside of Texas and Louisiana so I don't have much to compare to. Most of the barbecue that I cook myself is probably a mixture of different regions. I prefer my barbecue dry (but well seasoned) with a thin sweet and spicy sauce on the side, but I will sauce my ribs and chicken on occasion. In fact, lately I have been saucing a bit more than usual.
I also like different sauce bases such as mustard or vinegar. Oh and don't forget the Mexican influence with the cumin and green chilies. I have a wet rub that I use on fajitas that I have been contemplating on putting on brisket and ribs. It basically contains Cilantro, fresh minced jalapeños, fresh minced garlic, cumin powder, onion powder, veg oil, salt, lime juice. I just puree all that together and rub on the meat and let it set over night. It's mucho bueno!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Weldon

Originally posted by Weldon:
I see. Most places around here are bland. not all but most. you have to count on the sauce.

I think that's the definition of Texas Restaurant Brisket... bland slices of beef used to convey BBQ sauce to your mouth. I really like the sauces at some places so the end result isn't half bad, but in general I don't like an entree where the only flavor comes from condiments...

Originally posted by Benny L.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weldon:
I see. Most places around here are bland. not all but most. you have to count on the sauce.

I think that's the definition of Texas Restaurant Brisket... bland slices of beef used to convey BBQ sauce to your mouth. I really like the sauces at some places so the end result isn't half bad, but in general I don't like an entree where the only flavor comes from condiments... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I agree. The meat should be able to stand on its own.

Weldon

I really like the sauces at some places so the end result isn't half bad, but in general I don't like an entree where the only flavor comes from condiments...
Ditto.

I've yet to find that anywhere in Texas. (At Kreuz they have no sauce - sneak in your own.)

Haven't posted in a while. Other issues keep popping up. I really like the idea of a simple basic rub that you can build for different items. One problem I have is how much rub to make for a given item. I know extra is nice but not enough sucks!LOL Any rough guidelines for say an 8LB butt or brisket?

Originally posted by Pat Barnes:
Haven't posted in a while. Other issues keep popping up. I really like the idea of a simple basic rub that you can build for different items. One problem I have is how much rub to make for a given item. I know extra is nice but not enough sucks!LOL Any rough guidelines for say an 8LB butt or brisket?

This can vary widely by different rubs and their make up. With that said, for an 8lb flat I would start off with a 1/2 cup of rub, 1/4 cup per side. I don't measure when I rub briskets or butts, I pour a handful in my hand, liberally coat the meat, let it leach for a couple minutes, then add another handful.

Here's an example of how much Wolfe Rub Bold I put on briskets.
IMG_9446.jpg

At the foiling point, notice how it melts with the meat.
IMG_9455.jpg

And here is one with salt, pepper and garlic.

12-29-07004-1.jpg

At the foiling point.
12-30-07002.jpg

2 tbls granulated onion

1 tbls granulated garlic

1 tbls ground chile, such and ancho or guajillo (not paprika)

2 tsp ground coriander

2 tsp rubbed sage

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp ground white pepper

2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne, if desired, to taste

Sprinkle a fair amount of salt on all sides of the brisket and allow it to sit while you mix the rub. When the salt draws a good amount of moisture to the meat's surface, apply the rub over the salt; the moisture will help it stick well. Smoke as usual.

i hate bringing super old posts to life but was searching brisket rubs for my wife's mothers day brisket and this rub seems to be exactly what i am looking for(without the cayenne, but maybe subbing some chipotle powder). Kevin, just wondering if you used turbinado or regular white sugar. i will be doing high heat so i'm thinking turbinado. though i doubt regular sugar would burn in the short time the meat will be on the smoker before going into the foil.

I usually don't use smoked spices when I am smoking meats that will take a while (I do use them on short-cooked grilled items) but that's just a personal preference.

For sugar I've found I prefer white for longer cooked items as well, especially higher heat stuff. Two reasons: white sugar will caramelize on its own anyway, and take on those flavors (brown sugars already have caramel notes and I'm not really wanting them to intensify); and starting with brown sugar means a darker finish, color-wise, and I'm not really wanting to go there either. In the cases where I do want somewhat more caramel notes then I am likely to get with straight white sugar, I'll mix 50-50 white with light brown or Turbinado.

Table sugar needs temps >350 to burn. Even if cooking at 350, the surface of the meat is lower due to evaporation so no burning.

Kevin,

can the sage in the rub you mentioned be omitted without changing the profile too much?

also, is this still a go to for tyou when you dont use a paste on brisket

thanks

james

It wouldn't change it dramatically. I like the sage here though.

I make a different rub each time. Some would be similar to this, others not so much.

Back