Brisket Rescue needed!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Put a big brisket on the smoker at 8:30 AM. It held at 225* until around 4:00 when the temp began dropping (I started with less than a full pan of charcoal - my WSM always runs hot). Added H2o and dozen unlit briquettes and waited until the temp stabilized at 225. Left for an hour to run a few errands. When I returned the door to the smoker had fallen off, the temp was up to 315, and my brisket was sizzling away!!! The internal temp of the meat was 190 but a little greasy and not so tender. I put it back in the smoker when it dropped to 225...should I leave it in for another couple of hours, or will the meat toughen while the fat renders??? (It sure did taste good)

It won't toughen up and it sounds like it does need to cook longer. You may want to wrap in foil to help retain moisture, this brisket has been thru a lot.
Jim

I had a similar situation last weekend with a 8 lb brisket. Put it on at 530am, watched the temperature stablize at about 215, opened one vent half way, went to bed, and woke up around 9am to a 315 degree smoker and all the water gone. After getting the temp down to 240, it cooked merrily until I checked internal temp at 1pm and it was between 185 and 190.

took it off wsm, wrapped in foil, put it back in WSM for another two hours, then cooled it down for an hour before slicing Served with garlic mashed and fresh asparagus. A feast for kings and my "little" brother from Fairbanks.

Meat was tender, flavorful, but, could have been even more tender.

BTW, I marinated in seasonings used to make Italian Beef (do a search on Internet for dozens of recipes, although dry italian dressing mix and peppercinis are primary ingredients). Boiled marinade and used as mop, and also added some when I wrapped in foil.

Flavor did not resemble Italian beef, but it was great nonetheless and will do again with some seasoning refinements

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back