Brisket recipe

Originally posted by Paul K:
....I recommend you try a traditional process such as this or a high heat method like this.

Paul

I think I'll safely assume that this is THE Paul K - and just the man to answer my brisket dilemma.

I smoked a 14 pounder over the weekend on my WSM using one of the recipes in your book. I measured the temp in the flat for the whole cook, flipped it at 7 hours, then again 3.5 hours later, then pulled it at 15 hours total with the thermometer reading 185. There was water in the water pan the whole time. Temp was kept rock steady at 230 for the entire cook. The flat turned out dry and a bit disappointing. The point was incredible - juicy, tender, just wonderful - but the flat was a virtual desert.

This was a brisket that I had in the freezer for a few months then thawed in the fridge for a couple of weeks right in the cryobag. Perhaps using a previously frozen brisket was the problem? I know you are a huge opponent of foiling, but without some kind of braising step in the process, I'm a loss on how to get a juicy flat. I'm seriously thinking of a foil step sometime in the process to get this, but surely there is a way to do this without resorting to foil? Thanks for your help.

Hate to burst your bubble, but The Baron he's not. Unless you had another THE Paul K in mind.

My mistake. Seemed like a sure bet considering the subject matter and the name. I'll be looking into foil and a high heat cook for the next one I suppose. Thanks for the correction.

Prosit!

I think the easiest way to tell is that one Paul K gives his brisket advice away for free; the other does not.
icon_wink.gif

I just ordered my 18 inch smoker today off the site with Amazon. I'm so psyched up to smoke.

My brisket question is...what is a Brisket? I've never seen one. I've heard of them but in all my life I've never seen any meat at the store that is labeled "Brisket." does it go by another name? Is it a roast?

Thanks for the link, Doug, This site is huge, I didn't realize this section of the site existed, I've been reading for over an hour. Also didn't realize one of my favorites, Corned Beef is Brisket. I went to Frys (Kroger's) and Safeway today, no Brisket. I guess it needs to be found in a butcher's. maybe CostCo?? Sounds awesome. Butts were on sale but no room in the freezer, my 18 incher will not be here for maybe 10 days or so. Lots of time to prepare....

Supermarkets more often than not tend to sell what are termed "trimmed flats"-- only a portion of the whole brisket, and with most of the fat cap removed. For BBQ, we like whole or "packers", or untrimmed flats in cryovac with the fat cap intact. Yes, try a Sam's, BJ's, or Costco if you have access.

For what it's worth, unless you are in an area where there is huge demand for brisket all year round, I have found that the availability of packers is seasonal. Here in Knoxville, I usually find them in mid summer, then just as quickly, they vanish, only to be replaced by these puny little trimmed flats. All this in saying, keep your eyes open for the packers, they will show up eventually, and then snag a few when you see them and stash them in the freezer.

On a follow up note, I made some chili with my bone dry flat leftovers - it was awesome. Probably the best use of dry brisket that would be almost inedible otherwise. live and learn....

Prosit!

I get all my packers at Super Wal Mart. Price was $1.78lb when I bought the last one. They carry them year round here in PA. HTH

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I get all my packers at Super Wal Mart. Price was $1.78lb when I bought the last one. They carry them year round here in PA. HTH

Can I place my order for 1 now or when you head to Wal Mart?
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Evan T:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:

Can I place my order for 1 now or when you head to Wal Mart?
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Might head over for some on Friday night. You can ride along if you want too Bud. Email me or call me.
icon_wink.gif

I just used this recipe last Saturday and the brisket came out great. It was 13 lb untrimmed. It cooked for about 14 hours and came out fork tender and moist.

I served it with some cooked red cabbage. It was so beautiful I almost cried.

11.57 lbs of brisket already in the marinade. flipped it after four hours on the bottom ready to rub it and put it on the heat at about 1:30 am. Time now is 11:41 PM.updates to come....im putting 8 racks of spares on at about noon tomorrow and doing cornish hens and grilled aparigus for lunch.

Food turned out great...Brisket was juicy and tender great recipie, pulled it off at 195 internal. Followed the recipe and cook time for a 11.6 pounder was about 13.5 hours will use again.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm totally confused on the cooking times using this method, so please tell me if I'm interpreting this correctly.

I've got an 8lb flat. According to this method the smoke would go as follows:

8 hours on the bottom rack (1 hour per pound)
4 hours foiled on the top rack
2 hours no foil on the top rack

Total of 14 hours cook time. That's what I figure it, but when reading this thread the math that others have shared just doesn't compute.

Am I getting this correct?

Sorry to be a bother about this, but could someone comment on my time question above using the method mentioned in this thread?

I'm smoking this brisket Sunday (tomorrow) and I'm just trying to plan my night and day for a 6pm dinner Sunday night.

Thank you!!

Jamie, why are you switching racks? Unless I'm cooking a lot of stuff once I put something like brisket on it stays on that rack. Personally, I'd do a high heat cook. Takes less than half the time and ,for me, has always come out juicy. Kick the temps up,cook uncovered meat until it reaches internal temp between 160-170,wrap in foil,test for tenderness every 30-40 minutes,when tender,siphon juices off,wrap and put in a cooler to rest,then enjoy. easey,peasey :)

Originally posted by paul h:
Jamie, why are you switching racks?

Just because that's what this method calls for. Actually, I'll be smoking some ribs on the top rack along with this brisket. The brisket will start and stay on the bottom rack, however I'm going to to it low and slow - like this method calls for.

I'm just trying to find out if others have done it this way with this method and if so, am I understanding the times called for correctly?

Back