Brisket recipe

Well here is my report using the method in this thread as I understood it. It wasn't good.

2 hours at room temperature after removed from refrigerator (11:45 pm - 1:45 am)
8 hours bottom rack (1 hour per pound) (1:45 am - 9:45 am)
4 hours in foil (9:45 am - 1:45 pm)
2 hours out of foil (1:45 pm - 3:45 pm)
2.75 hours rest in foil in the cooler until dinner time(3:45 pm - 6:30 pm)

So, what did this get me? Something like dried out pulled pork. The "bark" was a mushy mess. Cutting into the brisket didn't yield a smoke ring at all. The meat just kind of fell apart under the knife. A few parts were moist, but for the most part it was a dry lump.

I'm not sure if I followed this method correctly or not. To me it would seem that it was pretty overdone. I'm no expert on briskets, so I really don't know. I've only made two.

Your thoughts?

Jamie, I think 4 hours in foil is way to long. I would go to the high heat thread on this site and follow the instructions . Never had a bad brisket this way. I never foil pork. Test for being done on the pork by feel . Temp is only a guide. I check my pork when the internal reads between 195 -200. Should offer no resistance when a probe is inserted into the meat. Do this in different areas of the pork. Never had mushy bark so I can't help you there. Don't be discouraged . Smoking is a learning process.

Giving this a whirl today on a 10 lb. Wagyu briskie. I had everything but the onion salt. Grocery store didn't have it. They had onion POWDER, but I didn't want to risk using it as a substitute. Marinated it over night, and put it on the grill at roughly 5 this morning. Can't wait.

I'm a little confused, as the initial post does not express when Stage 4 commences. How far into the cook before removing the brisket, foiling, and adding the remaining liquid?

I'm thinking of forgoing this stage, only because the last time I foiled, it really hampered the development of bark. It appeared to me that the brisket steamed inside the foil, and the bark took on a lot of moisture, and the end result was something a bit mushy.

I have a Wagyu brisket on right now using this very recipe. I have my internal target temperature set at 180. It's a very nice piece of meat, and there's a chance it'll be finished in advance of the suggested target temp for stage 5, 205F internal.

Back