Brisket questions

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all:

I'm a relatively new wsm 22.5 owner and I have a question about brisket. There is only the two of us in our household (bought the 22.5 bc I know I will grow out of the 18.5)

A full packer brisket is way too much for us, is there another alternative than to buy that much meat? In other words can I just smoke the flat or the point? If I do the full packer what are my options for the leftovers?

Thank you in advance.

What I do is either portion the packer prior to cooking (2-3 sections) and then vacuum seal them for freezing.
Or I cook the whole packer and then vacuum seal whatever is not going to be eaten in a timely fashion. Then reheating is quick and easy.
A vacuum sealer is not totally necessary, but it gives better storage longevity over normal freezer bags.
Alternately, many stores (Costco, etc.) sell flats and / or points separately. You can just pick up a 5-6 lb flat. That's what we did last time I cooked brisket.

What I do is either portion the packer prior to cooking (2-3 sections) and then vacuum seal them for freezing.
Or I cook the whole packer and then vacuum seal whatever is not going to be eaten in a timely fashion. Then reheating is quick and easy.
A vacuum sealer is not totally necessary, but it gives better storage longevity over normal freezer bags.
Alternately, many stores (Costco, etc.) sell flats and / or points separately. You can just pick up a 5-6 lb flat. That's what we did last time I cooked brisket.

Thats right, Just cut it up in smaller sections . Of course cook for less time then a full packer. 1.5 hours per pound +/-

Peter

If you have a butcher handy have them cut you just a flat, but leave the fat vein on the underside. Don't have them trim that off. Then you can cook fat-side down just like you would a packer, and then wrap it at 165 internal to finish cooking and flip it then. It will be every bit as good as a packer :)

I really struggled with cooking flats only.. but I think i found the way to do it.

I picked up a flat at Sam's (about 6 lbs or so). Put my rub on, made a "bacon lattice" and draped that over the non fat-cap end. Injected it and cooked at 215. Took over 12 hours, but it came out very moist. My previous attempts always resulted in dry brisket.

Good luck, Brisket's are great, but I've found much more difficult to do than say a pork butt.

Good luck, Brisket's are great, but I've found much more difficult to do than say a pork butt.

Hmmmmmm, really ? =)

Peter

Hmm, I'd much rather stay away from the bacon though. It does sound good but it reminds me too much of a bacon explosion.

If I cook a full packer how are the leftovers if frozen and thawed? (A summing that my brisket comes out good)

So when you cut up the packer prior to cooking, is there some particular method you use? Do you separate the point and flat? Do you cut such that each portion has some of both the flat and the point?

So when you cut up the packer prior to cooking, is there some particular method you use? Do you separate the point and flat? Do you cut such that each portion has some of both the flat and the point?

I've done it 2 ways.
1. In thirds (point / flat / flat)
2. In half (point+flat / flat)

They all cook up fine, but IMO the point + flat lends to a juicer flat.

I've done it 2 ways.
1. In thirds (point / flat / flat)
2. In half (point+flat / flat)

They all cook up fine, but IMO the point + flat lends to a juicer flat.

Thanks Chris! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll keep that in mind for my second or third brisket. I still haven't done the first one yet, but when I finally get around to it I'll probably cook it all first then portion & freeze leftovers.

Cook a flat using the high heat. I used to try and cook a flat on my old smoker. Would take 10-12 hours at the 225 to 250 to get a dry and tough piece of meat. Saw the high heat method on TV and said I will give it one more try in me new WSM. I have cooked 6 more flats after that. Comes out awesome and gives me and my wife about two the three meals. I just cut what is left over, wrap in plastic and throw it in the freezer. Reheat in a toaster oven at 300.

Cook a flat using the high heat. I used to try and cook a flat on my old smoker. Would take 10-12 hours at the 225 to 250 to get a dry and tough piece of meat. Saw the high heat method on TV and said I will give it one more try in me new WSM. I have cooked 6 more flats after that. Comes out awesome and gives me and my wife about two the three meals. I just cut what is left over, wrap in plastic and throw it in the freezer. Reheat in a toaster oven at 300.

Are you referring to the high heat method that is on this website? (Sorry for the silly question, I'm a newbie)

The only silly question is the one that is not asked. I just read the high heat directions in the cooking topics and it is pretty similar to what I do. I try to cook between 300 and 325, take the meat temperature to 170 and wrap in foil. I cook it until 210 and let it rest. Comes out great.

The only silly question is the one that is not asked. I just read the high heat directions in the cooking topics and it is pretty similar to what I do. I try to cook between 300 and 325, take the meat temperature to 170 and wrap in foil. I cook it until 210 and let it rest. Comes out great.

thank you very much!

Back