Brisket Questions

Dave I find that the difference between the top and bottom grate evens out as the cook progresses.

I agree that the water pan does cause the outside wall of the WSM to be the warmest but if we were able to see the airflow I believe you would find it does not flow straight up the walls but move towards the center of the pit with hot air rising under the brisket that can cause the drying effect that cooking fat down does help offset.
How are things going my friend?
Jim

I follow Paul Kirks suggestion / method. I estimate the amount of cooking time on the brisket. Example: 10 hours - I start with the fat cap down for 5 hours then flip the fat cap up. With 5 hours estimated to finish I divide the time in half. At the 2.5 hour mark I flip the fat cap down. At the 1.25 hour left I flip the fat cap up. After about another 30 minutes I flip fat cap down and leave it til finished (185-187 degrees). Of course if it finishes sooner thats ok.

I believe this is called the rule of halfs.

When you flip you can mop if you want. I usually do. Also, I don't know if it helps but when I foil (to rest) I add a little beef stock mixed with some butter.

Unfortunately I zoned out and let my brisket go to 202 before pulling last time. My brisket really sucked.

Thanks for the advice. So here's my game plan for the Brisket.

<LI>Apply Wet Rub to whole brisket
<LI>Fire up WSM to 250 degrees and then put the brisket in the cooker fat cap down
<LI>Spray every 2 hours with apple & grape juice
<LI>Remove brisket when it reaches 170 and wrap with HD foil with Rick's Sinful Marinade and place back in WSM
<LI>Pull brisket at 188-190 and let rest fat cap up in a cooler for 2 hours

Am I missing anything? Any other tips? I think I got everything covered.

Jim,
Things are going well. Heading to Cabala's in KC with two bullets Friday. Probably use a top-down burn method. I should think of a catchy name for it some day.

Does the rub make a difference? Ever since I started using Texas BBQ brisket blend, which has a lot of sugar, I've noticed that my briskets are moister. I tend to cook them slowly on the lower rack, with most of the fat trimmed off. It always takes longer than I want, and I take them out and stick them in a hot oven (foiled) to finish. I've thought the sugar creates a glaze that may hold in the moisture (although, I don't think that makes sense physically).

Sugar can indeed trap surface moisture but you need a lot of it. Foiling, however, creates a steaming effect. Note that you can, if you wish, simply foil the brisket while it's still on the cooker and you can also cook at a higher temp thus shortening the cook time. I often do both.

Back