Brisket Questions

Doug KC

TVWBB Fan
Hi! Long time reader, first time poster here. I took the plunge and purchased my WSM about 3 months ago. I've had good success with pork and ribs. Well, they're darn good backyard BBQ anyway. This is a new hobby for me and I love it!

My problems lie with the stubborn brisket. I've smoked it twice and both times it came out dry. I ended up chopping it and tossing it with BBQ sauce. It made pretty good sandwhiches. I guess I'm looking for a few answers to the following questions and other tips you seasoned pros may have.

1. I cooked the brisket twice with it fat side down with no turning end to end. What do you have more success with, fat side up or down?

2. I cooked the meat to an internal temp of 200. I was going for 190 but over did it a bit. I then let it rest for 4 hours in a cooler double wrapped with heavy duty foil and towels. How much does temp rise when it's in the cooler? If it does hit 200 before I can take it off the cooker, should I just let it rest for 30 min and then slice it?

3. Any other thoughts on improving my brisket so it's nice and juicy?

Here are some pics of my first couple smokes on my blog:

http://smokedoctors.blogspot.com/

Thanks for you advice. I appreciate it.

Doug

To avoid dried out meat in general, don't cook at too low a temp-- stick with at least 225-250°. I'm guessing you're cooking flat-onlies, rather than whole packers. I'd advise taking them to 185-188° (fat side-down), wrapping in double HD foil and resting, fat side-up, wrapped up in a dry cooler for 2 hours. Also, if I'm correct about the flats vs. wholes issue, if you're not using them already, try finding some USDA Choice grade-- their better marbling than selects will produce moister results. In the event a cook does get away from you, a foil-wrapped rest is always a good idea with brisket.

1. Down.

2. 200 is too high, imo. You can get away with higher temps if you foil. If I don't foil I cook to 188-192 depending on feel (and depending on the quality of brisket I started with).

3. Do you know the grade of your brisket? What temp is the cooker? An option is to try foiling at ~165.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks Kevin. I'd prefer not to foil b/c I like the Mr. Brown. I hear if you foil it will produce a softer bark.

I had a hard time keeping the cooker below 250. It was there most of time and got up to 280 for awhile while we were sleeping. I need to get a deeper water pan I think for the longer cook.

I did use 'Choice' grade.

How long do you let your brisket rest Kevin?

Thanks,

Doug

Try to make sure you are always monitoring internal temp in the flat portion. When it's reached what you want, you can separate the point, put it (the point) back in the cooker, and take it up to 205 or 210-- great for shredding and "burnt ends".

Usually 2 hours; occasionally a bit more. I cook the entire time in the upper 200s, 265-285 or so, but cooking lower is fine. (Don't go lower than Doug's suggestion with standard supermarket briskets.)

Foiling can produce a softer bark depending on tha bark's components. You can remove the brisket from the foil toward the end of the cook to re-firm the bark.

Foiling is in no way required--just a thought for you to try at some point if you wish. It can be well worth it on Selects or even lower-end Choice. I cook mostly ungraded briskets and have to determine myself what the grade likely is. On those that I feel foiling will help I foil. It's about 50-50.

Thanks Kevin & Doug, it's much appreciated! I'll give your suggestions a try and enjoy some improved brisket on Sunday!

I have tried brisket many times now. On my first few I thought were really dry. I tried putting bacon on the top of the brisket and still had same results. Now days I just cook a pork butt over the brisket. It will baste the brisket all night long. Which is more than I can say about a few pieces of bacon.

Basicly I did 2 things to get my brisket where I wanted it. Cook a butt over the brisket. The other is going by feel of the brisket rather than temp. I usually always remove the point when the flat is done, foil, and put back on the smoker for an hour or so.

Hello all!

I was under the impression that the fat cap should be up, particullarly during the timeframe when the fat begins to render. Am I mistaken? The consensus here seems to be down. I would appreciate everyone's feedback.

Also, I may be striking up a thread that is not appropriate for here, but it all starts with the purchase... doesn't it?

K Kruger
TVWBB Diamond Member
Posted July 31, 2006 02:31 PM

I cook mostly ungraded briskets and have to determine myself what the grade likely is.
Kevin

Where do you find an upgraded brisket?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n...... too many choices!
Gary

I also checked out Ray Lampe's thread on here about the fat cap. He says definitely down on a WSM. What I would like to know is the reasoning behind it. Any thoughts from those that have more knowledge on the subject?

Doug
Cook fat side down in a vertical smoker to protect the lean side from drying as the heat rises from below.

If you take a select brisket to 200 internal the meat is starting to dry some and as it sets in the dry cooler the internal more than likely got into the 210 range which is too high. I would pull at 187 to 190 internal and you can add a marinade like Rick's Sinfull marinade to the foil packet with the brisket during the rest. You can find the recipe for the marinade on this site.
Jim

Originally posted by Gary Bramley:
I was under the impression that the fat cap should be up, particullarly during the timeframe when the fat begins to render.
It's the intramuscular fat that preserves moisture in BBQ meats. Surface fat (fat cap) may render during cooking, but it doesn't soak in to the meat. At best, the fat cap prevents surface dryness, and, in the case of brisket, many find it works better as a shield against drying heat from below.

I understand the rationale behind the fat acting as a heat shield, but since heat rises won't it be hotter on the top side -- especially if you're on the top rack?

John

My last briskets I did fat side down, foiled at 170 and removed at 190. They were juicy, tasty and had an awesome smokering. I cooked them at 250*.

Tony

John
It is about moving hot air and smoke, since your cooking on a vertical smoker the hot air is moving from below, that can dry out and char the lean side of the brisket when cooking fat side up.

The idea of cooking fat side up is to baste or the moisture from fat would pass through the brisket keeping it moist is just bad science.
Jim

Oh, it's the movement of the air. That makes sense.

Thanks Jim. I look forward to seeing you at the SLC comp.

John
Patio Daddio BBQ

Gary--

You are quite right--it all starts with the purchase.

I buy ungraded beef from my butcher.

Jim,
I'm not sure I follow your logic on the pit temps. My top grate is always around 25 deg hotter than my bottom grate because the heat rises up the walls of the cooker to the top due to the water pan deflecting the air flow outward. Just above the water in the pan is the coolest spot in the pit. So, if you want to protect the brisket from the highest temperatures in the pit, shouldn't you cook fat side up?
Your freind,
db

Back