Brisket Question

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
So I ordered a brisket from the butcher and picked it up today. It doesn't look much like pictures of the brisket on this site. Its realy long with a tough "skin" on one side. Anyone have an idea what I have?

Upon further inspection of said brisket, I have deducted that it is infact a brisket and a flank. All is well.

Colin,
Brisket is truely one of the gifts of the Bar B Cue gifts of the Gods. Having a good butcher and communicating w/ him can really reap some taste rewards. This spring and into early summer we did brisket almost ever weekend and I honed my technique down. My experience has been to leave some fat on it, score it, then add the rub. The fat does help keep it moist and tasty.
Look foreward to hearing your report.

I'm lucky enough to have a butcher nearby that sells brisket but unfortunately the staff there isn't the brightest when it comes to the meat they are selling. Every time I take one of thier brisket up to buy it they look at me like I'm crazy and ask what I'm going to do with so much meat. I just stare blankly at them and say eat it of course.

This "skin" I described earlier seems to be the hardend exterior that has dried out do to ageing. I will be cutting this off. If anyone has any other ideas about the outside please fire away.

Back