Brisket - Primal cut

A couple weeks ago I went wild in the butcher shop, I decided to cook a brisket and baste it with a sacrificial pork shoulder. Good idea all around.
I've had problems getting a decent cut of brisket over here, they like to roll em, so they're flats. If you try to negotiate further to get a whole brisket nobody seems to know what you're talking about. Once again: Two nations devided by the same language.
I've found the best butcher (and considering prices here, a very good bargain too) ... I asked if he had a whole primal cut of brisket.
No problem (small problem: the thing is huge!)

here are some pics. Included is a tape measure to get an idea of scale. (speaking of scale, my kitchen scale topped out at 15 lbs so it was much more than that.

Basically it's a packer cut with extra fat and bones.
This was the best brisket I have ever had, by far.
Has anyone cooked a bone-on primal cut of brisket ?
Can you do this in a comp ?

Happy Friday everyone, it's raining here so I'll have some leftover BBQ with my mother in law tonight
icon_smile.gif

holy cow... that thing looks like a whole side of beef...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morgan Sziraki:
. . . nobody seems to know what you're talking about. Once again: Two nations devided by the same language.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, I can't find a butcher out here that knows what a whole brisket it either... so you aren't alone, there across the pond...

Man that thing looks like it was fun to cook. How many hours did it take with those bones in there?

Strange Adam...I havent had a problem finding packers. Maybe go to the local butcher and ask if they will order a full brisket and tell them you want to see it as it arrives, without them opening the cryo. Bet it will be a full packer.

Hi Jim... maybe I should move to a different part of the state.

I've called every butcher, grocery store butcher, and even a bunch of wholesalers in fairfield county and not a single one can or will get me a whole brisket. The ones that appeared promising at first claimed the largest brisket they'd ever seen was 7 pounds. Real brain trusts here in my neck of the woods...

Morgan - traditionally Brisket sold here is always sold rolled. But would it not be be possible to cook it rolled and treat it as a simgle lump of meat? Would stop any tendency to drying out, perhaps - which I gather from this site is one of the problems with brisket??

Adam,

Try calling these folks. They are meat processors, amongst other things. They will ship any and all cuts of meat to your door. They also now own People's Woods, so if you need some really good smoke wood they have that too.

Tel: +800 443 6450
Fax: +401 732 0633
http://www.ajmartininc.com

Al

Ha ha - yes I've had the same problem with people assuming I want brisket rolled, however I have a great butcher/producer round the corner from me who just goes with what I ask. The first time I asked for a whole brisket it looked like half a heifer, so I bought it by the yard - "just cut it off about there, how much will that be roughly"
Had to fold it to fit it on the WSM - theres's a picture on here WSM album see number 47.
He's often sold out of brisket now!
One day I'll actually get around to taking those meat charts in to him.

Back