Brisket- prices drop

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

After months of seeing brisket prices shoot up to $1.89/lb, I was pleasantly suprised to see them at my local Smart and Final in the S.F. Bay Area (San Mateo and redwood City) at $1.19/lb. I could almost bend the brisket in half, only had a 1/2" fat cap and the tenderness and flavor was unbelievable. So yesterday, I picked up two more. There were so many in the case, that I felt like being greedy.
So my question is, I've never come across these kinds of briskets before. Have you?

Roy,

Thanks for the heads-up. A year or so ago Smart & Final had Choice briskets for $1.39 a pound, but that was a one-time deal as they usually only carry Select. The price at the S&F near me for Select briskets usually ranges between 1.19-1.59/lb, sounds like I should go take a look at what they have in stock.

Rick

Roy-

Not sure what you mean by "...these types of briskets...." Was there something different about them other than they seemed more tender than ones that you have gotten from S&F in the past? Or was it just that these were higher in quality than you are used to from S&F?

I have purchased quite a few briskets from S&F, and here's what I have found. They are mostly Select grade (on two occasions, I have found Choice there--likely an ordering mistake.) Their tenderness can vary greatly (due either to the fact that they order from different suppliers, or just due to the general variability of cows and their chest muscles, oh, almost forgot that there is variability from the cook in there, too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

The last one I got from there was labelled Select, and was the best brisket that I ever cooked. This was last week. So, if all the local S&F's order from the same warehouse, then it seems that the current load of briskets is pretty good.

Sorry for the ramble.

R

I wasn't very clear in my posting. In the past, the brisket was usually stiff, not as flexible as these ones (Select). I forgot another thing. These briskets only had a 20% shrinkage compared to 50% before. Before cooking 11lb, after cooking a little over 9 lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back