Brisket potluck

Jonathan Jarembek

TVWBB Member
Hello,

I needed some advice on cooking a brisket for a pot luck at work.

I was going to get a brisket around 12 - 15 lbs,

I was going to do a high heat cook.

My question is if this is going to hang out in a cooler "double wrapped foil and towel" for some time before lunch at what point or temp do i pull the meat off ?

I was thinking of starting at 6am and the lunch is at 11am. "i could start the cook later if need be.

I need about 30 minutes for transport.

Last time i cooked a brisket i pulled it at 198 degrees internal temp at it was really good.

Just not sure if i am going to over cook the meat in the cooler etc.

Thanks

J

J,

The short answer is pull it when it's done or just short of perfectly tender. Timing will be the issue. The meat will continue to cook a little wrapped in the cooler. So, if it's 10 AM and the meat is just about fork tender, then go ahead and pull it. What you don't want to happen is bringing a brisket that is not tender (=not fully cooked). If you do a high heat cook, then there will be plenty of time to fully cook the brisket. Don't go by internal temps; a brisket is done when it is tender. Using a probe or fork, test it. If the the probe goes in with no resistance, then it's done. Slice the brisket at work just before serving. It looks like you're doing a whole brisket, so you can separate the point and chop up for chopped sammies and keep the flat for slices.

any other way to tell other then a fork probe test ?

Never did one so to be honest not really sure what i am looking for..

unless having it slide it in and out is the only option then i will see what i can do.

more of a temp kinda guy..

Jon

Then instead of using the form, use the probe fromt he thermometer. You want it to slide into the meat with no friction. Like sliding it into butter... Once you learn that, you won't need to use a thermometer anymore...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> any other way to tell other then a fork probe test ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can also use the 'jiggle' test. When a brisket is done and the collagen has broken down, when poked, it will give a jello-like jiggle.

Unfortunately, brisket doesn't have a target temp to tell when it is done. They all vary somewhat.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">brisket doesn't have a target temp to tell when it is done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Especially if it's a high heat cook. I strongly recommend not temping at all, or at least not after foiling.

Feeling for tender is not difficult. The probe will go into the meat without effort. You need only check the center of the flat in a spot or two.

Back